Is my engine acting as it should?

Local time
9:39 PM
I just got a new Staton friction drive GX 50 kit and installed it today. All works great, except sadly the GX 50. This is my first experience with small engines, so maybe this is normal, but my engine refuses to run without the choke. I rode it for maybe five miles today, and then I was able to keep the engine idling with the choke off, but as soon as I gave it a bit of gas it died.

Is this normal for a new small engine that's breaking in? Will I have to run it with the engine choked for a bit? Or should I take the engine to a dealer?

Before you start it use the primer bulb to get all the air bubbles out of the lines. Also run it with the fuel cap off and see if it makes a difference. Fuel cap might not be venting air after sitting on a shelf for awhile.

Pictures of the carburetor would help. It needs to be determined if a stock carb is on it or if some other carb was used.

The fact it won't run without the choke on suggests an air leak or improper air/gas adjustment towards the lean side.

The honda gxh50 & the huasheng 142f is known for air leaks. Theres a plastic isolator plate in between the carb & the cylinder block, they are common to leak air there. What I've seen is when the engines are built they trap the heat shield accidentally between the plastic isolator plate & cylinder block causing a air leak. I've seen it on 4 different instances.

Okay well now I feel stupid.. I pulled the thing apart and what I thought was the choke position was actually the open position. Regardless thank you guys for the help.

I still have one question. This engine seems to idle pretty high. When I'm stopped at a light, I can feel the clutch starting to engage and wanting to push the bike forward like an automatic car. Is this normal or is my engine idling too high? I'd imagine if I did have an air leak as dieseltech said, this would be a symptom of it.

Get a can of ether or carburetor cleaner & spray around your intake manifold, if rpm goes up or down then you got a air around the area you sprayed. If no rpm change, then you need to adjust your idle rpm. That's the easiest way I can explain it. Let me know what happens & take a couple pics & I will help you along.

Okay I finally figured it out. I'm not sure exactly what did it but the engine runs perfectly now! I noticed the fuel line had a kink in it so I snipped it shorter and adjusted the hose clamp. I also pulled off the carburetor, made sure the seals and gaskets were in place correctly, and then put it back on. I'm getting 150+ mpg right now, so I'm very happy. :)

Okay I finally figured it out. I'm not sure exactly what did it but the engine runs perfectly now! I noticed the fuel line had a kink in it so I snipped it shorter and adjusted the hose clamp. I also pulled off the carburetor, made sure the seals and gaskets were in place correctly, and then put it back on. I'm getting 150+ mpg right now, so I'm very happy. :)
I LOVE HAPPY MOTORBIKE ENDINGS!!! Now we just need some ride footage and some pictures. :)

Back