Is piston sideplay normal when attached to the crank arm but not in the cylinder?

Aikaru

Local time
7:39 PM
So, I will be honest, I know very little of 2-stroke engines...but yesterday when I was installing my new piston, i noticed that when I finished, the piston had a lot of sideplay on the crankarm (the crankarm has no play, just the piston). The clips are in their grooves on both sides and securely fastened, it seems that the piston is shifting on the bearings, not the pin itself. Is this normal or is this bad? I feel like I didn't have this with my original piston, but maybe I'm wrong. In the cylinder, there is zero play or slap, just when it is out of the cylinder.

There should be a little play yes. As the engine heats up most of the play goes away as the metals expand. With no play it will seize tight everytime it heats up. Now excessive play is bad. Some is ok. These arent precision machines, with tight tolerances like say a new mazda. 😆

There should be a little play yes. As the engine heats up most of the play goes away as the metals expand. With no play it will seize tight everytime it heats up. Now excessive play is bad. Some is ok. These arent precision machines, with tight tolerances like say a new mazda. 😆
well the pin doesnt move because the clips are in correctly, the piston is just moving on the bearing, and shifts it side to side.

I was told in a perfect situation, there would be no slack there, but that's just how these engines are made and its not perfect but it'll work just fine. If you want to buy a better bearing these are the perfect dimensions.
20211007_120601.jpg

Back