Is Staton customer service like this?

T

TWalker

I called to ask a few question before I decided to order and the guy on the phone didn't act like he had time, I know how it is I get busy too but....

But he said the more powerful motors like the Honda 50 are not suited for friction drive. If so are they selling them with friction drive?

I asked maybe 3 questions and he said just decide what I want and order off the site.

Not a very good start.

Anyone feel like that big Honda at 8 LBS heavier is too much for a side mount? VS the Robin 33.5? If its a side mount, friction or right drive, is that a big lateral load?

Thanks

can you maybe do a graphics mockup of what you're considering?

i love rack-mounts, they're surprisingly stable, but i suppose the load could reach a point where it's too much.

I just want to buy a kit from Staton and install it on a bike...no big deal, should be cut & dry but Im just wondering how the big Honda 50 feels as far as weight.

Check out these two pics of the same engine...looks quite different to me but they dont have any left side pics on the site. Looks like it would be side heavy...maybe thats why they dont show it?

whats your opinion?

Attachments

• honda50.jpg
    honda50.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 216
  • stantonhonda.jpg
    stantonhonda.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 242
I have a friction drive with the honda gx50 motor and it runs just fine. The weight is hardly noticeable being just on one side. I think the motor weighs in at 12 lbs and it starts on 1 pull plus its quiet. Going up a steep hill with a 1 1/4 urethane drive wheel hardly bogs the motor down. Great lil motor!

those look fairly balanced, prolly enuff to be fine when there's a good (and safe) fit of seat-height to rider height. a flat-footed stance with the seat just tucked up into the crotch gives the rider tons of control over minor misbalances.

I have a friction drive with the honda gx50 motor and it runs just fine. The weight is hardly noticeable being just on one side. I think the motor weighs in at 12 lbs and it starts on 1 pull plus its quiet. Going up a steep hill with a 1 1/4 urethane drive wheel hardly bogs the motor down. Great lil motor!

Your my new best friend...

Dinner at my house is at 6, see ya there.

Thanks

Ohh where do you get urethane rollers?

hi tw; dont take it personal. staton can be a little short on the phone but he very honest and busy. would you like to get car salesman type routine. he is also aware that mostthe questions he gets could be answered by reading posts on mbc. he is very proud of his products as he should be. where else do you get to talk to the head cheese.

I bought a friction drive on ebay from Staton. Emailed three times to see what size drive roller I should get after I had sent the money. Never got a reply. So I called and got the same feeling that I was bothering them. He said read the add! Well his add doesnt say what size roller for my weight , 230lbs. . http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120275197212
I am not bashing them , i definetly am not perfect. I just got a little nervous that there was no reply and I had sent money to someone. The product did come and everything is fine.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Staton doesn't seem terribly articulate but his products speak for themselves. They don't need perfect customer service because their stuff is so darn straight forward and STRONG that problems are rare. I have 400 trouble free miles on my staton kit so far without it requiring more from me than chain maintenance and an air filter cleaning. This is with rough riding on poorly maintained dirt and asphalt mountain roads and even trails and rough gravel I know for sure components on my bicycle are going to give way before any part of the kit does.

Staton doesn't seem terribly articulate but his products speak for themselves. They don't need perfect customer service because their stuff is so darn straight forward and STRONG that problems are rare. I have 400 trouble free miles on my staton kit so far without it requiring more from me than chain maintenance and an air filter cleaning. This is with rough riding on poorly maintained dirt and asphalt mountain roads and even trails and rough gravel I know for sure components on my bicycle are going to give way before any part of the kit does.

I hear ya, I have the utmost confidence in Staton.

Back