Is the motor legal in Canada and Quebec

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by shoguno, Oct 11, 2006.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. shoguno

    shoguno Guest

    My question is does the motor bike is accepted in Canada and Quebec streets as a normal bike or as a scooter? Merci, Thank you,


  2. Tom

    Tom Active Member

    Aug 4, 2006
    Likes Received:
    I would assume that it is. Check with your local vehicle code. It may be classified as a "motor-assisted bicycle" or a "moped".
  3. Cookie

    Cookie Guest


    Quebec, Canada - submited by Martin Levac
    Rules and regulations concerning a moped driver's license, registration and definition of a moped in the province of Quebec, Canada.

    The term in french is cyclomoteur.

    The definition of a moped, cyclomoteur:

    A 2 or 3 wheel motorized vehicle for use on public roads that has an engine displacement of no more than 50 cm2 and an automatic transmission.

    I haven't found any definition concerning electric engined mopeds.

    The driver's license: Mandatory, class 6d or better.

    Minimum age: 14 years of age.

    Registration of the vehicle is mandatory.

    To date, insurance for a moped is not mandatory but always a good thing for a new vehicle.

    Have fun.

  4. andmalc

    andmalc Guest

  5. thud

    thud Guest

    It looks like a motoredbike would fall into the moped catagory. Anyone registered their bike? How would you get a title on a bicycle with an addon motor?
  6. bamabikeguy

    bamabikeguy Active Member

    Sep 30, 2006
    Likes Received:
    I hate to muck up the Canadian waters, but I thought somebody from Calgary was talking about how the "electric" folks had messed up the definitions for everybody. But the "under 50 cc" bikes were under the radar.

    Or maybe it was that electric guy in the Wikipedia entry, who somehow made HIS the only type that slipped through the legal crack.

    I really wouldn't know how you could get a transferable title to a bike without a Vehicle ID # stamped on it.
  7. mac2flip

    mac2flip Guest

    I read somewhere (ICBC) insurance of BC ... Mopedsthat are under 50 cc's you dont need registration or whatever, you need a license but you could have the lowest license (learner's)... and power assisted bicycles like the ones we have are in this category. Most of us have 80cc engines..but you could just say that it's a 50cc. But here in vancouver, we have lots of bike routes that are sealed off to cars and it's so convenient getting around the city in these roads without cops harrasing you.
  8. thatsdax

    thatsdax Guest

    HOW MANY TIMES !!!!! ??????????

    OK OK OK !!! Here it is again.. These are Motor Assisted Bicycles !!! Got it? Good..Now stick to it you guys !!! Power Assisted or Motor Assisted..But these are still bicycles and ARE NOT motorized. Now Stick to it !!! Come on your guys and gals, When you are asked what these are, what do you say? You say this... These are MOTOR ASSISTED BICYCLES !!! GOT IT? GOOD.... Enjoy the ride...
  9. gone_fishin

    gone_fishin Guest

    motor assisted it :)
  10. srdavo

    srdavo Active Member

    Nov 4, 2006
    Likes Received:
    Re: HOW MANY TIMES !!!!! ??????????

    sheesh.....somebody needs a nap! :lol:
  11. gone_fishin

    gone_fishin Guest

    what he's addressing is how the terminology makes a difference when interpreting the laws...

    plus, i think dax is kinda getting overwhelmed by the numbers here, the place is growing so fast and the same topics keep popping up again & again, which is entirely understandable.

    standard legal terms would go a long way towards motor assisted bicyles finding their proper place in society and legislation, IMO.
  12. bamabikeguy

    bamabikeguy Active Member

    Sep 30, 2006
    Likes Received:
    I'm with Dax, he has an EXCELLENT topic, pointing out where Federal supercedes state.

    Claim a handicap, mental even, you must be crazy to ride these things.


    We are the ANSWER, more and more laws and interference are the problem.

    You never know what lobby is behind this legalese, but surely it is about money, which we can't afford to lose.

  13. bamabikeguy

    bamabikeguy Active Member

    Sep 30, 2006
    Likes Received:
    Canada News- Some sort of crime wave in Brockville, too long to relate, the important part is the Brockville Park Posse:

    B&Es and noise complaints up in '07

    Brockville Recorder and Times - Brockville,Ontario,Canada
    ... from enforcement officers to issue warnings as well as hiring two bylaw enforcement officers to patrol the waterfront parks on motorized bicycles. ...$rec=22205
  14. Elohim008

    Elohim008 New Member

    Mar 27, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Quebec Law

    The one that sold me the engin kit continue to tell me that this is "tolerated" on the street like if this was an assisted bike. but tolerated is not legal.

    Assisted bike are electric in Quebec, they can NOT be powered by gas.

    It took me less than 5 minutes to get arrested by the police telling me that it was not accepted like a normal bike.

    Les vélos assisté au Québec sont des vélo électriques. En aucun cas les vélos assisté par un moteur à essence ne peuvent rouler sur la voie publique, ce sont des véhicules hors route comme les VTT. En moins de 5 minutes j'ai été arrêté par la police lors des premières explosion de mon moteur. Ne vous faites pas avoir c'est illégal et après en avoir conduit un je comprend très bien pourquoi, c'est beaucoup trop puissant pour "Monsieur et Madame Tout le monde".

    De toute façon j'écris sur internet et je vous dit de ne jamais croire tout ce que JoeBlow peut y écrire. Alors voila téléphonez à la SAAQ entre 8h et 17h du lundi au vendredi :
    Région de Québec : 418 643-7620
    Région de Montréal : 514 873-7620
    Ailleurs : 1 800 361-7620 (Québec, Canada, é.-U.)

    Ainsi vous serez fixé avec des "professionnels"

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  15. Winnipeg80

    Winnipeg80 New Member

    Mar 28, 2008
    Likes Received:

    In Manitoba Canada, "Motor Assisted Bicycle"
    refers to "any bike assisted by an electric motor not exceeding 500 watts and only electric"

    So that term does not work for here.

    It's a moped if under 50cc
    and a motorcycle if over

    I don't think I will be legally able to "register it" either, due mainly to the fact it has no VIN. NO CSA, etc.
  16. adamtheha

    adamtheha Member

    Apr 28, 2008
    Likes Received:
    In Alberta, a "Power assisted bicycle" is 50cc or less, and cannot go faster than 30km on level ground over 2km, and is also less than 35 kg. This does not need registration or insurance, and you can ride from age 12 and up, if you have a motorcycle helmet, horn, brake lights, headlight and mirror. No passengers under 16. Anything faster than 30km (if it can be tested) bigger than 50cc or 35-55kg is a moped and needs all the fun stuff (learner's license, registration, insurance...). I looked this up yesterday, and confirmed it. So all you Albertans STAY UNDER 30km if you want to be unnoticed by police! I am in Law Enforcement, and I'm warning you, many police don't know these rules, so you might be subject to questioning, but remember, they have to prove that you broke one of these rules in court. Of course, if you signal, have lights, wear your helmet and watch your hiney, you probably won't even get questioned (hopefully).
  17. wayde

    wayde Guest

    Well I spoke to the police after cruising the speed limit (50 km/h) beside two police cars for 10 km's. I stopped for a coffee and asked a different officer than the ones i was riding with ( he was a superviser) if i can get in any trouble riding and he said nope i'll be perfectly fine as long as i have lights at night and a helmet all the time wooohooo.
  18. wayde

    wayde Guest

    so everyone come to niagara and we'll have a big gathering and