Is the motor legal in Canada and Quebec

what he's addressing is how the terminology makes a difference when interpreting the laws...

plus, i think dax is kinda getting overwhelmed by the numbers here, the place is growing so fast and the same topics keep popping up again & again, which is entirely understandable.

standard legal terms would go a long way towards motor assisted bicyles finding their proper place in society and legislation, IMO.

I'm with Dax, he has an EXCELLENT topic, pointing out where Federal supercedes state.

Claim a handicap, mental even, you must be crazy to ride these things.

DON'T LET THEM BEAT US DOWN.

We are the ANSWER, more and more laws and interference are the problem.

You never know what lobby is behind this legalese, but surely it is about money, which we can't afford to lose.

FIGHT THE POWER !!! (p.s. over 5,000 miles NOT ONE QUESTION BY LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Canada News- Some sort of crime wave in Brockville, too long to relate, the important part is the Brockville Park Posse:

B&Es and noise complaints up in '07

Brockville Recorder and Times - Brockville,Ontario,Canada
... from enforcement officers to issue warnings as well as hiring two bylaw enforcement officers to patrol the waterfront parks on motorized bicycles. ...

http://newsfeed.recorder.ca/cgi-bin/LiveIQue.acgi$rec=22205

Quebec Law

The one that sold me the engin kit continue to tell me that this is "tolerated" on the street like if this was an assisted bike. but tolerated is not legal.

Assisted bike are electric in Quebec, they can NOT be powered by gas.

It took me less than 5 minutes to get arrested by the police telling me that it was not accepted like a normal bike.

Les vélos assisté au Québec sont des vélo électriques. En aucun cas les vélos assisté par un moteur à essence ne peuvent rouler sur la voie publique, ce sont des véhicules hors route comme les VTT. En moins de 5 minutes j'ai été arrêté par la police lors des premières explosion de mon moteur. Ne vous faites pas avoir c'est illégal et après en avoir conduit un je comprend très bien pourquoi, c'est beaucoup trop puissant pour "Monsieur et Madame Tout le monde".

De toute façon j'écris sur internet et je vous dit de ne jamais croire tout ce que JoeBlow peut y écrire. Alors voila téléphonez à la SAAQ entre 8h et 17h du lundi au vendredi :
Région de Québec : 418 643-7620
Région de Montréal : 514 873-7620
Ailleurs : 1 800 361-7620 (Québec, Canada, é.-U.)

Ainsi vous serez fixé avec des "professionnels"
Salutation

Elohim

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually,

In Manitoba Canada, "Motor Assisted Bicycle"
refers to "any bike assisted by an electric motor not exceeding 500 watts and only electric"

So that term does not work for here.

It's a moped if under 50cc
and a motorcycle if over

I don't think I will be legally able to "register it" either, due mainly to the fact it has no VIN. NO CSA, etc.

In Alberta, a "Power assisted bicycle" is 50cc or less, and cannot go faster than 30km on level ground over 2km, and is also less than 35 kg. This does not need registration or insurance, and you can ride from age 12 and up, if you have a motorcycle helmet, horn, brake lights, headlight and mirror. No passengers under 16. Anything faster than 30km (if it can be tested) bigger than 50cc or 35-55kg is a moped and needs all the fun stuff (learner's license, registration, insurance...). I looked this up yesterday, and confirmed it. So all you Albertans STAY UNDER 30km if you want to be unnoticed by police! I am in Law Enforcement, and I'm warning you, many police don't know these rules, so you might be subject to questioning, but remember, they have to prove that you broke one of these rules in court. Of course, if you signal, have lights, wear your helmet and watch your hiney, you probably won't even get questioned (hopefully).

Well I spoke to the police after cruising the speed limit (50 km/h) beside two police cars for 10 km's. I stopped for a coffee and asked a different officer than the ones i was riding with ( he was a superviser) if i can get in any trouble riding and he said nope i'll be perfectly fine as long as i have lights at night and a helmet all the time wooohooo.

Back