Is there a braking system for my build?

slimshady

Local time
2:56 AM
Just built a system by welding a 5hp engine on the back of a scrap bike. Need to install brakes but the caliper style wont do because the front wheel is smaller than the height of the pre-installed calipers. What should i do to brake?

If the 5hp engine is mounted above the top of the rear wheel it will cause a high centre of gravity which will make handling diabolically bad if you have to take evasive action and avoid an obstacle like a dog or worse, a small child running in front of the bike.

I noticed. Ive been trying to figure out a braking system, because it doesn't have any brakes currently.

If you have the tools to weld steel with, buy some v-brake bosses or a v-brake adapter plate, and weld them to your fork in the appropriate place(s). V-brakes are cheap and powerful. I prefer them over mechanical disc brakes.

The cheaper way out is to get some LONG cantilever brake levers (different pull than v-brakes, take note!) and use them with old style beach bike calipers. Weld a long piece of steel flat stock to the forks where you want the center bolt to mount, then hacksaw it off beside the forks and grind down for looks. Drill for the mounting hole, and you should be ready to install the brakes and ride.

YES there are brakes for your bike.
Go with V brakes- you can cut the tabs for them off an old bike (along with the other parts) and weld them onto yours (note the correct angle and location from the wheel to where they mount- also note how they are clocked).
V brakes are totally better than old style calipers.
Remember that you are flying compared to a normal bike.
USE Vs on both ends.

Back