Fuel Mixture Is there any fuel boosters out there?

Mothballs only worked when gas was under 60 octane. It's rated at 90 octane so would lower the octane rating of high octane gas (imagine adding beer into vodka to increase the strength of the vodka...). Lower octane gas has more energy per drop than higher octane. Higher octane gas has more additives to raise the temp needed before predetonation. Do more research greenmantis.

Do my research? I got my degree in automechanics, I have done my research. First, the energy available in gasoline is constant regardless of the octane. This is about efficiency, the ratio of heat to pressure created. Ordinarily, gasoline is only about 10% efficient, that's a one to ten ratio, one pressure that will push your car, to 9 heat, that go out the radiator. A slower, cooler burn, means more pressure, less heat. I bet you think that "top fuel", aka nitromethane has more energy than gasoline does, too, don't you? Nitromethane only has 25% of the available energy that gasoline does.

I have had this argument dozens of times, literally, and in EVERY case when they tried it themselves, they got the same results I did, and got about 50% better mileage. But it's one of those things some people just have to see for themselves to believe. Try it yourself, if you know what kind of mileage you get now, on straight pump gas. The difference will be more than noticeable, it'll be painfully obvious.
Octane boosters WORK, but they are overpriced to the point where you can't save money on gas using them. The secret is, that even though they will likely list it as an "inert ingredient", all that stuff has in it is naptha, liquid mothballs, that's it, that's all there is to it. Toss a half dozen mothballs into a full tank (in your car, not your bike, a half of one is enough for a bike's tank), and that will do the same thing. I used to take my motorcycle to the airport once in a while, to buy the good stuff, 100 octane avgas, and the first thing I noticed, is not only did my bike run great on it, I got half over better mileage, so it really didn't cost me any more than pump gas, despite being 50% more expensive. Then I tried mothballs, and got the same results as the avgas, and then I saved money big time. Like from then on.

No, not at all. They don't sell low octane fuel cheaper to save YOU any money, they do it because people will pay more for gas at the pump to get a lower price. The difference in actual fuel economy more than offsets that difference in price, and they know it. Haven't you ever wondered why your car doesn't get nearly the kind of mileage that they claimed that it would on the sticker it had on it when you bought it? The auto industry knows damn well that your fuel economy depends on the quality of the fuel you use, so they use 100 octane aviation fuel when they do their tests. Av gas has to be made to higher standards, and better consistency. But again, you don't have to spend $10 a bottle on fuel booster, it's just naptha, and mothballs will do the same thing. More octane = better mileage. But they don't give you any kind of real indication of that on either end. The price you see at the pump means nothing, and the mileage your car gets means nothing, until you do all the math yourself. Fuel economy donsn't measure dollars per gallon, or miles per gallon, it's about miles per dollar, and the only way to calculate that is to do it yourself. And I have, so now I believe.

Gasoline is only about 10% efficient as a motor fuel. That means that for every 10 btu's of energy created when you burn it in your engine, 9 go out the radiator for every one that pushes your car down the road. So it really only takes a 5% improvement to manifest as a 50% improvement in fuel economy. Even injecting a small amount of water into your intake will do the job, that water will use some of that heat to convert to steam, more pressure to push the piston, and less heat. The reason that is unpractical is that it will rust the inside of your engine in no time. But this was done quite a bit by the loosing side near the end of the war, when they had a huge shortage of fuel, and could afford to replace the engine after every flight, that is, if they came back at all, which they usually didn't. Mothballs will give you about 5%, which always translated to a 50% improvement in fuel economy EVERY time I have tested it, or had anyone else do so to convince them. Your results will be a bit less if there is ethanol in your fuel, though. This only applies to the gasoline content.
So where exactly do you buy your mothballs?? I'm not convinced it would actually work but I don't believe it will do any harm so I'll try the mothballs to see.

Walgreens or Walmart has them. But be careful, and READ THE LABEL! There are 2 different kinds of mothballs, and they sell them in nearly identical blue boxes from the same brand, on the shelf right next to each other. You need to get NAPTHALENE mothballs, not paradichlorobenzine. That stuff is urinal cake, so don't put para balls in your gas. If you need a way to remember, just think "don't pee in your gas tank", going by the first letter. That's easy enough.

Walgreens or Walmart has them. But be careful, and READ THE LABEL! There are 2 different kinds of mothballs, and they sell them in nearly identical blue boxes from the same brand, on the shelf right next to each other. You need to get NAPTHALENE mothballs, not paradichlorobenzine. That stuff is urinal cake, so don't put para balls in your gas. If you need a way to remember, just think "don't pee in your gas tank", going by the first letter. That's easy enough.
Ok thx. And what's your suggestion per gallon?

Break one ball in half. I used to use one per gallon, but it was an educated guess. I since read that one per gallon is excessive, 5 or 6 would do a whole 15 gallon tank in an automobile. If that's too much trouble, you can throw a whole one in, it won't hurt anything. Even using one per gallon, it's still dirt cheap, as opposed to the stuff in the bottles at the part store. Read the label on any of those, next time you go to your parts store, naptha is about all they will actually say is in there, albeit listed as an "inert ingredient", since that's all it is. There might be some bulls**t about proprietary ingredients that don't exist, or they would have to put it on the label. It's a scam, made at and sold by the same companies that make the gasoline, so they don't want you to know how much they are jacking you around for the stuff in the bottles, for all the other good reasons to use it aside from the improvement in mileage that you won't be saving any money on, anyway, if you buy the stuff in the bottles. That's the scam, see? I have been asked things like "why don't they add it to the gas to begin with?" -Since they would sell 1/3 less gas, that's why. "Why can't I buy it in the store?" You can, but the stuff in the bottles comes from the same companies that make the gas, so they price it so high you can't save any money that way. And regular gas is a scam, too. People are willing to pay a little more to get a lower price. The response I get to that is usually, "Yeah, of course! .... wait, what?"

I mentioned that injecting water into the engine will boost performance, and I just found something interesting. This is a speech by a WWII P-47 pilot, at 29:00 he describes his own airplane's use of water injection as a power booster.

If ordinary water can do it, why is it so hard to believe? It's just a matter of converting energy otherwise wasted as heat back into pressure we can use. And with 90% of the energy created normally being heat, even a marginal improvement will result in a substantial gain.

Back