Once again, Oh the humanity! What kinda pie was it? And no you should not use a cardboard head gasket. If it would work every manufacturer would have cut this corner many moons ago.

Hey come on now, no wild guesses, I wanna hear experience.
I can talk 'til the cows come home both sides of the debate, but I want to hear what people have tried.

Someone on here was talking about using aluminum pie trays as a headgasket.
I just happened to blow my Blaster's headgasket:
16427408_10154822952960803_1205642336611913384_n.jpg

And just happened to have a couple pie tins (strawberry/rhubarb caramel apple crumble) in the recycle bin.
To get the squish distance even both of then were not enough, so I slid some regular paper between them.
Incidentally, here is a squish test about to happen:
16602934_10154822954830803_602471067782563271_n.jpg

That "std" piston is a 72mm big bore, with a +3mm stroker crank. I digress.

I'm sorry now I didn't take pictures of the pie plate cutting session.
The gasket has worked fine for weeks now, and lots of hard slogging thru mud and snow.
16426066_10154814609585803_5570143835200846843_n.jpg

So if a pie plate will work on this bad boy, it should have no problems on our bicycle motors.

Quite frankly, I think a thin tough cardboard, or maybe even a waxed cardboard like a milk carton, might actually work.

Well nothing speaks straight to the question like personal experience. The pie plate sounds perfectly doable, even if it were a meringue. I'm just thinking these stock MB heads sure have a hard time holding their torque. That is quite a bulge on that blaster gasket.

Well nothing speaks straight to the question like personal experience. The pie plate sounds perfectly doable, even if it were a meringue. I'm just thinking these stock MB heads sure have a hard time holding their torque.

Yeah, true story Gary.
The stock 66cc heads are "softer" than the Blaster head and may not deal with a spongy gasket well.
Someone's gotta try it!

While I agree meringue will probably work, no need to specifically look for it.
It's just a lot of fluff hiding the good stuff...

Yeah, true story Gary.
The stock 66cc heads are "softer" than the Blaster head and may not deal with a spongy gasket well.
Someone's gotta try it!

While I agree meringue will probably work, no need to specifically look for it.
It's just a lot of fluff hiding the good stuff...
True dat on the meringue. Never understood what my ex saw in it. I'll be leaving this experiment for the inspector to solve.

Sheesh guys, anyone got an answer to the original question?
Can you use cardbord for a head gasket? Ever try it?

I answered the pie plate question. It works fine.
I don't don't mean cardboard box its a heat fabric gasket purchase at a auto parts store.
I have a extend motor mount that positions the engine level without it, it would be taking a nose dive could this be whats causing oil to seep out the head? I would have more gravity drainage through the exhaust on a nose dive.

I don't don't mean cardboard box its a heat fabric gasket purchase at a auto parts store.
I have a extend motor mount that positions the engine level without it, it would be taking a nose dive could this be whats causing oil to seep out the head? I would have more gravity drainage through the exhaust on a nose dive.

You are talking about 9 different things and using the wrong words to say them every time you post.

It doesn't matter what head gasket material you use if you don't torque your head on in the proper way with an actual torque wrench.

Cardboard gaskets? I wouldn't use them as a metal shim gasket will seal better and last longer under pressure. Cardboard will soak up the fuel/oil mixture from inside the engine and will eventually blow out. Ive never used a cardboard gasket but I see how cork valve cover gaskets work and they soak up oil and eventually will seep oil.

Metal shim gaskets are best I see them all day long used as gaskets on cars and 99% of the time when we remove them we reuse them as there is nothing wrong with them.

Personally if you want to try something other than the shim gasket I would probably give the indian head shellac a try. That stuff is used all the time by us as well as copper spray for exhaust gaskets. They both are a very high temp liquid gasket. I wouldn't see a problem using that for head or crank case gaskets as on cars of the 50`s lots didn't have head gaskets at first and they used the indian head shellac to seal cylinder heads.

The pie plates worked fine, as would aluminum foil if the head and cylinder were filed and sanded flat. The indian head shellac is old school stuff that works well on cast iron engines. I had a few catastrophic failures with it on aluminum head engines before I gave up on it. Teflon tape rope is the answer for flawless thin headgaskets. Read up in the archives from a guy named Headsmess.

Back