CVT Is there anyone who doesn't want a NuVinci CVT hub??

Do you want a NuVinci CVT hub?

• Total voters
hello...that is shwing!!! very cool..gonna watch it again as I am at a friends house durring my lunch break...have a good and Happy motoring....:D

Okay. I just spent 45 minutes searching for the physical specifications of the NuVinci hub. All I can find is a passing mention on the Staton site that the diameter is 5.9 inches. Some help, not enough.

What I need are the following spec:
1) Hub barrel diameter;
2) Spoke flange diameter (and thickness)
3) input sprocket diameter/tooth number (typical)
4) Axle diameter;
5) rear drop out required width (I have that as 5 3/8 inches, but I'm not sure I am correct)
6) Hub width

If anyone has them, I could use the specs on the hub as supplied by Staton for use as a mid-drive;

7) secondary (power assist) sprocket diameter/tooth count;
8) output (spoke flange mounted) sprocket ring OD and thickness. In addition, can that output flange mounted sprocket ring be mounted to either the right or left flange on the hub? I sure hope so, as it will make chain run clearance issues much simpler for my trike design.

E-mailing Staton has been utterly fruitless. I am at the point where continued fabrication is at a full stop until I have that info. If I culd, I'd just buy one, but as I am designing this trike the NuVinci hub will become a mid-drive to replace the old shimano internal hub I'm using for now. I really, really don't want to have to rebuild the rear swing arm totally when I finally do get a NuVinci hub

Last edited:
I have one and I think it's great. I ride on level ground all the time but I feel it still has some realy good advantages over fixed gearing.
I can use a smaller motor and have gone from a 50cc to a 35cc 4 stroke.
I use less fuel.
I make less noise as I can keep my revs lower.
I have better acceleration which resulted in my trip times getting quicker.
I would assume better engine life with less revs.

What I dont like is the weight which I am getting used to now and the cost.

Alex

What I dont like is the weight which I am getting used to now and the cost.
The weight problem will always be an issue with NuVinci. I just now remembered that the NuVinci was my secondary reason for creating the Crash Couse... so that more people would easily choose that option, thereby driving down the price, and I'd be able to see if it's really as durable as they claim. It's definitely durable.

I'm still not touching it until the hub is around or below $250.

P.S. - I found this alright video that does get pretty repetitive... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qipv2Ql3p0E

I thought you guys said that there were really only 3 settings on the shifter. Seems like there really are an infinite number of settings. This hub confuses the heck outta me.

Last edited:
I've got one it seems like the best possible manual transmission for a bicycle IMO. Now it seems most motored bikers ride mostly on the flats which makes this thing rather useless but I was sick of having to make the compromise between high torque gearing for fast hill climbing and trail riding at the expense of top speed for on the road. I've read that you can keep pretty good cadence while pedaling with the engine too. So gone are the days that the engine is spinning the wheels too fast for me to pedal in tandem. I haven't finished my bike but I'm expecting it to be the bomb!

Sir Jakesus, I've read elsewhere that the problem with the NV hub is with the pedal cadence and that you end up pedalling in thin air all the time. As a geared hub it seems to be ideal but I need cadence so I can pedal a bit as well. What is your experience since tyou completed your build and what size chain ring are you using?

i would likely buy one for a second build...not that Ive even started my first yet, but i wouldnt doubt it would happen

Back