CVT Is there anyone who doesn't want a NuVinci CVT hub??

Do you want a NuVinci CVT hub?

• Total voters
Nu-Vinci etc

Hey all, Shifting is Illegal in Most all states

You do not care?

Mike

Ever used an over 49cc motor on the road Mike?

http://www.simpsonmotorbikes.com/55cc Hop up Kit.html

I know I don't really care actually. The use of gears makes small engines way more efficient in all regards. As I said in my other post there is a solution on the way however that should be available by the time, if that time ever comes, that the current laws become enforced. It will not be cheap though.

I feel that a mature operator can utilize gearing to enhance their motor assist experience along with the proper cc engine, meaning 49cc or less, and keeping their top end gearing to 30 mph. The biggest benefit of gearing is the low end anyway for most of our needs and the ability to get off the line efficiently and cruise without being all wound out on the top end is just to good to not do it.

Quite frankly most of the bikes and various contraptions I see on here with folks bragging about how fast they can go, up to 50 even, scares the beejeezus out of me. Save it for the racetrack boys, there are ambulances on call there and you may stand a chance.

YOMV of course.

Last edited:
In regards to the Nuvinci, you haven't seen anything yet from Fallbrook. One of the issues with running your motor in to your gearing and using a shifter is that it technically is not an automatic transmission as described by Federal law and most states. This will make the Nuvinci a true automatic constantly variable transmission. The kit will be available early next year. I apologize for the photos of the sheet I got at Interbike but I don't have a scanner.
View attachment 11869

View attachment 11870

This is a better view.
View attachment DevKit_Datasheet_V4Web.pdf

Hey all, Shifting is Illegal in Most all states

You do not care?
Heck no we don't care 'bout no stinkin' laws!!

Seriously, tho... most laws I've come across say "automatic transmission" which means centrifugal clutch. HT motors don't have auto clutches, so HT riders in those states are breaking the law. Boo hoo. Follow the rules of the road that other motorists follow and take safety seriously... then you'll be alright.

The neatest part about the NuVinci is that I could pedal right alongside the engine, going 30mph, and my legs wouldn't be pumping at 1700 RPM. Right now, 18mph is the practical top pedaling speed for my 20" wheels. I can make it to 20mph, but it just gets sooo hard that I'm wasting more energy moving my legs and not really putting anything into the wheels. If I had a NuVinci... I would pedal all the time. More reason for a cop to leave you alone.

PLUS... how many cops know about internally geared or CVP hubs!! How would a cop know you have gears if he doesn't see a transmission or derailer or anything?!?

http://www.simpsonmotorbikes.com/55cc Hop up Kit.html

I know I don't really care actually. The use of gears makes small engines way more efficient in all regards. As I said in my other post there is a solution on the way however that should be available by the time, if that time ever comes, that the current laws become enforced. It will not be cheap though.

I feel that a mature operator can utilize gearing to enhance their motor assist experience along with the proper cc engine, meaning 49cc or less, and keeping their top end gearing to 30 mph. The biggest benefit of gearing is the low end anyway for most of our needs and the ability to get off the line efficiently and cruise without being all wound out on the top end is just to good to not do it.

Quite frankly most of the bikes and various contraptions I see on here with folks bragging about how fast they can go, up to 50 even, scares the beejeezus out of me. Save it for the racetrack boys, there are ambulances on call there and you may stand a chance.

YOMV of course.

I think it's worth remembering that I go faster on my tandem than I do on my Honda albeit only in bursts. I rode a carbon road bike recently and touched 60 km\hr in top gear. I am 57 yrs old and if I was younger I'm sure I could probably sit at 55 km\hr on the flat for considerable distances. Given the amount of tyre that is contact with the road on a road racing bike I reckon the possibility of a spill is higher than on my motorised bike. The riders in the Tour de France go down mountains at speeds of over 100 km\hr with their back wheels skipping and wiggling when they hit a damp patch of road under trees. If they were to fall off at this speed without leathers they wouldn't have much skin left on their corpse. They also have the opportunity to drop a thousand feet down a mountainside if their bike leaves the road. They know that a spill at this speed is curtains for them and it's a helicopter job to retrieve their body so they tend never to fall off on fast descents.

NuVinci? A great concept, it works, but....

It is too heavy (for bicycle) it weighs as much as most of bicycle engines.

And too expensive.

Good luck to those who expect reduction in price.

Due to it's nature Nuvinci is not likely to get cheaper or lighter ever.

If I am proven wrong I'll be happy, I'll buy it!

yeah probably not going to get much cheaper... but then again neither is caviar... or a rolex. Most of the good things in life dont depreciate.

I have one of these things and let me tell you first hand... THIS THING ROCKS!!! It is worth every penny.

I cant say enough good things about this hub... but here are a few highlights I can think of.

-bullet proof design (and I mean bulletproof)
-no maintenance "fill for life fluid" means no muss no fuss... ever
-low gearing, enough for the toughest hill climb
-high gearing, enough for the fastest speed enthusiast.
-extremely durable up to 7 hp means a ht 2-stroke will never make enough power to break one.
-laced in hub, coupled with jackshaft, eliminates the need for a typical chain tensioner and the extra chain going to the back wheel
-laced in hub eliminates the danger of broken spokes and/or loose tensioner
-built in mount accommodates a disk brake.
-looks cool.
-could pass for a braking system if the police ever get nosey.

I could go on and on... bottom line is that it is well worth the money. I couldn't imagine my bike w/out it.

http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=24531&page=3

I agree,

I can live with the price, if it is a Rollex or Cadillac, NuVinci makes sense coupled to jack shaft which is on the lighter side which balances out the whole application.

However for my purpose I would need to mate it to a Staton box, then the whole thing would weigh twice as much as the engine.

Then my engine + a NuVinci hub + Staton box would weigh as much as my bike.

I need a MB capable of climbing trees for mountain off road tracks, yet light enough, so I can lift it and carry it over fallen trees, ditches etc.

On paved roads there is lots of choices, unfortunately I have not find solution for my needs yet.

Back