Is this engine kit any good.

Should i buy this 80cc engine kit.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
needle bearings

Understandable, but what does he got to loose, these engines are all the same require high maintenance, so for$10 cheaper, I'd go for it. besides , he could always get a needle bearing from a dealer and replace it. If i'd had the money to waste i'd try it. not metioning the one i got now 70cc i've spent 300to keep it runnin

Very true...but it's not just the bushing that is causing the problem in those engines.
It isn't going to make any difference or help the engine live longer if bearings are installed and there is still no lubrication getting to them.
A person would have to pull the entire engine down, re-machine the con-rod...might as well change out the rest of the bushings, and the low grade bearings at that point, and balance out the flywheel as well. If you're into it that far, you might as well get the ports cleaned up too.

If a person isn't their own best friend, they will need a mechanic and/or a machinist to take care of all of that.

So, in my opinion are you still saving any $$ to make that into a reliable running engine?

I agree also. I think the main problem with these engines is the cylinder, the cylinder creates more problems than anything else. Iv'e went through 3 pistons because of metal shavings from the cylinder, and iv'e finally found a way to correct the problem, and that is make a new steel sleeve for the cylinder with tapered ports, so hopefully this will prevent all those shavings from destroying the piston and, rings. You could also try to taper the ports with the stock cylinder, but when the heat hits the engine it still would release those metal shavings. great info Chris

not metioning the one i got now 70cc i've spent 300to keep it runnin

Out of curiousity...how could that be possible?
A can of chain lube costs less than $10...other than that, all you should need would be oil and gas, and maybe a spare plug. That should do you a good long time.
If you want to do a nice pretty installation, maybe a pack of plastic zip ties, and some shrink tubing for the wiring...even those shouldn't cost more than about $5.00 (for both items).

Think about getting the 2nd generation Happy Time engine...at the mo their only available in 48cc and only from overseas(as far as i know) but by all accounts their a great improvement over the original.
You need to weigh-up freight costs but the good thing is most parts are interchangeable.

PS...Anyways to answer your original question.....my only advice is to try another local importer(if your not purchasing overseas) that more specalizes in Chinese Happy Time kits.
For Example:
http://www.zbox.com.au/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree also. I think the main problem with these engines is the cylinder, the cylinder creates more problems than anything else. Iv'e went through 3 pistons because of metal shavings from the cylinder, and iv'e finally found a way to correct the problem, and that is make a new steel sleeve for the cylinder with tapered ports, so hopefully this will prevent all those shavings from destroying the piston and, rings. You could also try to taper the ports with the stock cylinder, but when the heat hits the engine it still would release those metal shavings. great info Chris

Ports in any cylinder should already have a very slight chamfer to them...nothing drastic, just enough to take the edge off so that there is no way to snag a ring on them.
You definitely should not be getting any little bits of anything into your cylinder, lol. That's asking for trouble.

Oh, and not all engines are created equal...just thought that I should mention that.

Maybe i should send you my cylinder , and you'll understand where i'm coming from, and yes that is true, they do have a LITTLE chamfer on them but not enouph, also the cylinder is cheap made, that it don't matter if they are chamfered or not , when heat strikes that is the killer. All it takes is for 1 little piece of metal to be bounced around into the cylinder to ruin the sleeve and piston and rings untill the piece get shot out the exhaust or sticks into the piston. Also to answer the first response, 2 pistons, 1 carb, 2 sets of rings, Idler pulley, machine work on the cylinder, head work due to stripped spark plug, 1 throttle cable, 1 clutch cable, complete gasket kit. shall i go on. face it these engines are unreliable and you have to spend the $$$ to keep them runnin just as stated on here from other peoples post. 2 strokes are going to be exempt down the road. Myabe you got a good cylinder but they are not all the same, I'm sure other people who have these engines can back me up. I know one person on here i won't mention any names, but went thru 3 dax 70 engines and gave up on them , and i wouldn't blame him, all due to piston and cylinder problems. I'm not trying to cause problems, but trying to make people aware of problems with these engines. Of course you are trying to defend these engines, that is only because of the sales for distributors. I'm sure if you had a bad engine or a couple bad engines you would be venting to. Sorry . MO

Hey, no need to apologize.
When I got my first engine I had similar problems. Actually, I think the first 20 or so from different people and companies were like that. I got totally fed-up, gave up for awhile, then came back with a vengeance.
I now have my own, and they are nothing like the others in terms of quality. I feel for those that have had problems...especially people in Canada, or other locations where they do not have a warranty available and seem to have a lot of problems.
I know mine inside and out, and rely on my bike daily...irregardless of mother nature.
I only ride. I do not own a car, do not want a car. My bike and trailer are plenty enough for me to get anything done that needs to be done.
Like I mentioned earlier...chain lube, gas, oil, and to always have a spare plug should be about all you need to keep going with. Anything more, and you should be asking yourself some serious questions.

I think in terms of forum rules, I won't yap anymore on this or I may slip up and say things that should not be said, and I definitely don't want this to start sounding like any type of sales pitch.

Have a great weekend.

These engines are.............

These engines are not the same.. Not even. Do NOT make the rookie mistake of thinking these motors are all the same. Each factory has a different approach. Different stroke, different bore, different cylinders, different porting, different bearings, different castings, different wrist pin connections , different carb dia. and on and on and on.. No two factories make the same motors. Each factory is different. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride....

Back