Is this fixable? [pics]

P

Pofke13LT

806_moped_1.jpg

806_2_2.jpg

Somebody said I could take a file to the pressure plate and rough it up a bit... I tried, but I think it needs some more serious roughing.. I was thinking to take my dremel and go nuts on it... What do you guys think? :(

I think you will ruin your clutch if you keep messing with it. If you make the surface of the clutch plate too rough, it will basically grind your clutch pads away. Every time you release your clutch lever, it will be like applying a grinder wheel to the clutch pads.

i agree. most pressure plates have a fairly fine finish & rely on, you guessed it, pressure. the clutch friction-plate merely provides a means to gradually apply the pressure without grinding the metal parts to smithereens...

i'd suggest putting some fine grit to it until you have a consistent finish, then i'd go looking for a mechanical explaination for the unusual wear.

My clutch makes a scraping sound when I engage it all the way (when I use the pin in the handle that let's it back out a bit, it is fine). There seems to be a little resistance in there. Is it worth taking apart the clutch to see if there is anythign I can fix/lube?

ROUGH UP THE PADS..NOT THE PRESSURE PLATE!!!

Knock the glaze off of the pads and add a few turns to the pressure plate. Do not rough up the pressure plate !!! Yikes!! Rough up your pads. and...Went finished, quit the clutch starts and do pedal starts. also..make sure you have some free travel. even if only a hair, you need free travel. Enjoy the ride...and quit doing clutch starts !!!

duh. Thanks guys.. I have since gotten my bad boy running again.. Still needs some tinkering though.

Back