is this normal?

M

mickal1025

I recently took an old Trek and instauled an 80cc kings motor on it with puncher resistant tires and extra thick inner tubes, I have 1 tank of gas though it but it still has very bad vibration. its not bad until about 19-20 mph but after riding to work 1 way (9 miles) it leaves my hands tingling for 10 minutes afterward. I really want to use this or another motor kit but it has to be reliable. do I have a bearing problem on my new motor or do I just have the wrong motor. is it likely its not broke in yet? will it smooth out? idealy I would like to be able to ride at 30mph with little vibration. thanks

Hi Mickal

Keep in mind, when you use old bikes, especially with old spokes, a large portion of vibration comes up though misaligned wheels.

Most of the happiest bikers switched right away to 12 gauge on the rear, 16-18 zip ties at the spoke junctions keep the spokes truer/longer.

And I LOVE foam grips, a little elec tape on the ends keeps them from ripping.

Use women's hair spray to hold them tight to the metal....

These frame mount engines smooth considerably with eash passing mile of operation. Mine finally got relatively smooth after 400-500 miles.

Check the balance of your wheels as well, you have a lot of rubber rolling there.

thanks guys. I have hope again. the vibration in this case is motor related because when riding down a steep hill I can pull in the clutch and let it idle down and it will go faster (30mph) with much less vibration. are there any newer bikes that that work well with the china kits? say a mt bike with front shocks or full suspention? just trying to equal, if possible, the ride of my Trek crossover peddle bike. I will likely wiat until i am sure this motor works out before buying anything else (new bike) but it cant hurt to mine for information in the mean time. thanks again, this is a great site, wish i had looked here earlier.

Engine vibrations

these engines vary, and, sadly, some of them shake like a wet dog, Mike

if it comes to that. will better bearings help or are the connecting rod, crank, piston and other moving parts so out of balance that its a lost cause? I will put a few more tanks of gas though it and see if it improves.

Do not put anything in between the engine and frame except for maybe a wrap of friction tape....using the "rubber mount technique" allows engine movement, which causes more vibration that "normal".

tried something simular already. I used a rubber (1/8-3/16 thick) adaptor from a plumbing pipe then slightly radiused the motor mount clamp ends so the clamp would not tend to cut the rubber. still shakes like a wet dog as Mike so aptly put it. have heard of rubber isolation blocks at Farm & Fleet but have not gone to look yet.

Back