is this the right info about cdi/magnet?

lotsa_mpg said:
I don't know a thing about the specs, but being as we are on the topic of CDI's, I've a question concerning the recommended mouting position. The instructions call for mounting it on the front downtube and I can see that almost everyone has theirs mounted in such a position. However, when building a Dax engine mountain bike for my cousin, I could not conveniently mount it there...so I ended up placing it on the underside of the top bar just under the tank. I could see no reason why it needed to be mounted in the recommended location. There's no moving parts in the box that I am aware of and having been around various small engines with CDI's for a couple decades, I've seen them mounted anywhere and everywhere...so I could see no real reason to have to mount it on the downtube. The mountain bike I built runs perfectly fine the way I have it positioned. However, maybe I am missing something? Perhaps with these Chinese engines, the CDI might fail prematurely if not mounted the way they want you to? I really can't see it, but you never know. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Pete

I had mine in the same position on my old mountain bike. Never affected anything. I was never told not to.

IGNITION SYSTEM CHECK
THINK YOU HAVE IGNITION SYSTEM PROBLEMS?
CDI COIL TEST (Use ohm-meter on high scale of around 200-K)

Just take a reading from a new or proven coil that works and post the specs !

Hope this will help,
~DC~

it all helps :)

'cept for the part about we don't actually have those figures yet :p :p

no biggy, that's why i posted this plea. i'm certainly not qualified to speak on ignition beyond the basic wiring. help will arrive sooner or later 8)

OK GUYS ! LET HAVE SOME HELP !
(you know this site has helped you very much already)

I am at the office farting around on the computer instead of working right now.......

BUT ! We need someone with a VOM (volt / ohm / meter) to go out and get a reading on a good coil / cdi unit.

Hope this will help, guy,

~DC~

Otherwise, i will be home later and do it.....

augidog said:
so, jol, it's a CDI problem?

can anyone confrim the figures for us so i can archive them in the manual?
Dunno, was sent a new magneto coil (same cdi) and i got one small fart/ignition of fuel, no visible diff in the spark strenght... Will call a friend and borrow his cdi tomorrow

jol said:
augidog said:
so, jol, it's a CDI problem?

can anyone confrim the figures for us so i can archive them in the manual?
Dunno, was sent a new magneto coil (same cdi) and i got one small fart/ignition of fuel, no visible diff in the spark strenght... Will call a friend and borrow his cdi tomorrow
measured up both my original and replacement magneto coil, and my and my friends cdi, same results.
Now it's only the magnet itself, or maybe too much oil in the fuel... got it to ignite some going down a steep long hill atleast

Sorry so late.....

On a brand new never used coil straight from the box, these are my readings:

Black to Spark lead = 2.54K

All other connection combinations were 0K - open.

Just as a general rule, on an ignition coil, the primary coil does not communicate with the secondary coil.

The CDI part is a "pointless" switch, so to say, that collapses the magnetic field by using a "pulse" as a switch trigger.

Good luck,
~DC~

Hi

I am having the same problem trying to find out why I can't get a spark. Could you tell me how you are taking your readings? Did you find a solution to your low or no spark. Thanks you jfealy

Back