is this the right info about cdi/magnet?

i'm asking the whole community, which he's part of, he'll jump in with some help too i'm sure.

I hope so, that is one place where my knowledge of I/C engines is horribly lacking. :???:

shoot, dude, i have nooo fargen idea at all, that's why i have to confirm before i can put it in the manual :???:

Theese were my readings, but this with a very weak spark (not starting), not sure which is the faulty part yet tho.

cdi
1. 0
2. 49.8kOhm
3. 53.6kOhm
4. 2.3kOhm

magneto
1. 2.8Ohm
2. 335Ohm

so, jol, it's a CDI problem?

can anyone confrim the figures for us so i can archive them in the manual?

I don't know a thing about the specs, but being as we are on the topic of CDI's, I've a question concerning the recommended mouting position. The instructions call for mounting it on the front downtube and I can see that almost everyone has theirs mounted in such a position. However, when building a Dax engine mountain bike for my cousin, I could not conveniently mount it there...so I ended up placing it on the underside of the top bar just under the tank. I could see no reason why it needed to be mounted in the recommended location. There's no moving parts in the box that I am aware of and having been around various small engines with CDI's for a couple decades, I've seen them mounted anywhere and everywhere...so I could see no real reason to have to mount it on the downtube. The mountain bike I built runs perfectly fine the way I have it positioned. However, maybe I am missing something? Perhaps with these Chinese engines, the CDI might fail prematurely if not mounted the way they want you to? I really can't see it, but you never know. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Pete

nope, never heard of CDI position affecting performance. i agree with you, i don't see how it would, excepting being too close to a heat-source.

the only info I ever found said to keep as far from exhaust as possible (heat is electonics enemy)
seeing as everything is electronic (not mechanical)and sealed in resin, I don't think position will have any effect
they are usually on downtube for convenience

Back