Issues with chain alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudsie

Local time
12:19 AM
G’day there, I’m new to this forum and also to the motorised bike community.

I am in the process of building my first motorised bike and I ran into problems with aligning the chain to the motor, I have a regular mountain bike and a smaller sized 2 stroke engine. The issue itself is around where the sprocket meets the chain stay, as the top of the chain is dead straight (between motor and sprocket) but I can’t seem to align the bottom section as the chain hits the frame and I can’t pull it up. (I am using the regular rag joint and I have a spring loaded tensioner on the way if that means anything.)

Attached are photos of my problem, I can take more if that helps. Thanks, Cloudsie.

FF1820F7-32EA-45F0-A974-0C1783EFC46C.jpeg
AF168505-F85D-4518-BFE0-8AABEAB5BB03.jpeg
C4A45CD9-3259-4B92-9965-38EE8E0E713B.jpeg

In the bottom pic you can see on the top of the sprocket the teeth are touching the left side of the links, farther back they're riding in the center of the links. That sprocket is not 100% parallel to the wheel. It's a b**ch to get it right from what I read. I've never done one so wait someone will chime in with some tips to get it right. There's one guy here who made a tool to center and align the sprocket perfectly, but it was a 1 off deal. Wish he made some for sale he'd sell out real quick.

In the bottom pic you can see on the top of the sprocket the teeth are touching the left side of the links, farther back they're riding in the center of the links. That sprocket is not 100% parallel to the wheel. It's a b*tch to get it right from what I read. I've never done one so wait someone will chime in with some tips to get it right. There's one guy here who made a tool to center and align the sprocket perfectly, but it was a 1 off deal. Wish he made some for sale he'd sell out real quick.
Ok, yeah i’d love to have one, thanks for the info. I was clueless to why it wasn’t aligned.

Cloudsie, what we see in the pic is assuming the axle/wheel is perfectly aligned in the axle slots.

The best way is trying different thinks like thinner chain also turning sprocket around, alignment is important too. They also sell a three bolt sprocket adaptor which might help. Just keep messing with it don’t give up you will get it. There a lot of others on here that maybe help you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back