It Dies.

Hal the Elder

Local time
1:05 AM
Hello...

Oscar, my BRAND NEW 2005 Whizzer NE5, starts happily and quickly for me, but then DIES.

Thanks to you all, I now know the proper choke lever positions, and also the Idle Mixture and Idle Speed adjustments.

When Oscar starts, I try to let him run at a fast idle (I turned up the idle speed screw to do this), but when I back off the throttle, HE DIES, even at a fast idle setting.

Then, when I maintain enough throttle to let it run continuously at a speed well above idle, and lower the choke lever to the "unchoked" position, OSCAR DIES.

Then I restart, and while again maintaining a speed well above idle, I move the choke a little toward full, and...OSCAR DIES.

All choke settings seem super-critical, and I don't know where it should be set when warmed up. (Off, of course!) My longest running time has been with the choke lever somewhere between full on and full off, both of which kill the engine.

But this is my latest experience: He starts quickly and runs at a fairly fast RPM for awhile (with me giving him some throttle, I'm guessing at about 2000-3000 RPM), but when I move the throttle or choke lever the slightest amount, HE DIES!

I haven't even had the chance to RIDE him yet, because of the constant death!

HAL

Hi Hal, sounds like the carburetor might be slightly "plugged" up. You might want to try some Gummout carburetor cleaner in the tank [I mix it on the heavy side, 4 ounces to a full tank]. Today gas offerings will leave residue inside the smaller jets if it sat around very long without starting.

Have fun,
Quenton

Hey Quenton:

That could very well be the problem! Sitting in a showroom for 2 years without being started, and small carb jets...I'll hit WalMart tomorrow and buy some GumOut!

Their website says they have an aerosol spray made specifically for small engines. Should I remove the air cleaner and use the aerosol to spray directly into the carb while the engine's running, or stick to the gas tank method?

Thanks...
HAL

Last edited:
Hal -- yes - you may wish to do a little cleaning there
if your bike has had gas laying around for a long time

tank, carb bowl lines ect -----
may as well check the plug also -- tells a story at times

did the person selling it to you
not fire it up before sending ??? that doesn't sound right

ride that thing

Hal, just ask Motorbike Mike about the long-term effects of California gasoline. He can vouch for its efficacy in reducing perfectly good carburetors to rubbish. I'd give the Gumout (or similar) a try.

Hi Hal,
The sparkplug is usually so black it doesn't help identify the problem. The reason the plug is normally black is because the jetting is most likely a #95 and it really needs a #82 or #84. Spraying cleaner directly into the carburetor will only clean the venturi, not the internal main and pilot jets. If the cleaner in the tank doesn't solve the problem, remove the carburetor, remove the float bowl, and use air to open the main and pilot jet. One important comment concerns the rubber bowl gasket. When gas hits the gasket it will swell up and no longer fit in the grove in the bowl edge. Either use a hair dryer or the sun to dry the gasket so it will shrink down enough to fit. I also recommend throwing the fuel line in the closest trash can and buying a new piece of thicker fuel line at the nearest auto parts store, because I have seen the stock fuel line collapse during accerlation. The blue plastic vent system in the gas cap can also be a source of trouble, and instead of drilling a hole in it, simply bend the 3 tabs and remove the entire blue plastic piece. As far as I know opening the restrictor plate to match the intake port isn't a violation of state law [except maybe in CA], it will just allow you to go faster, and since the Whizzer is a 138 CC motor, most states class it as a motorcycle anyway, so running it under 30 MPH is a mute point. You will see the Whizzer advertized as a 123 CC, a 138 CC, and a 148 CC, someone has been playing with the truth a little, in fact ALL new edition Whizzers are in fact 138 CC period [57 MM X 54 MM], 1/2 D squared X Pi X Stroke [57 MM divided by 2 = 28.5 X 28.5 X 3.1416 = 2551.7646 X 54 = 137.7952884 CC]
I also understand the dealer not starting the bike and getting it running, because I think he sold it to you for less than his cost. If you need any help, just ask!

Have fun,
Quenton
252-475-0406 cell

Last edited:
Back