it refuses to start

murduk0420

Local time
6:22 AM
I checked the spark plug and found we have spark, dumped a little gas down the spark plug hole, tightened the idle screw and then loosened it 3 1/2 turns to get the idle right, checked the throttle assembly and works good and I even installed a pull start for it to make starting it easier and it won't even turn over. I tried it with the choke on (up) and with the choke off (down) all you hear is the cylinder going up and down Help please. :cry:

Doesn't really seem like pouring fuel into the cylinder is a good idea.. If it's not getting fuel, then you need to fix that..

The idle screw will only affect how it runs when er.. idling.

You will really need to be more descriptive if anyone more experienced here is even going to attempt to help you..

What kind of engine is it?

What kind of carb have you got?

er.. I can't think of any additional details, because i'm still a newbie myself. But anything you think of that could be useful.

ok, first off...if you say that it won't turn over, to most people that means that the engine is locked up. but you are saying that it spins over when you are trying to start it because you can hear the piston going up & down. (turning over) if it will not run, that would be described as it not wanting to fire.
pouring gas in the spark plug hole can cause 2 problems. 1. it will foul your plug and make it so it does not spark. 2. if you pour too much gas into the cylinder, with no spark you risk hydrolocking the engine, but it would take an aweful lot of gas for that to happen.
you have spark, but do you know if you have fuel flow into and out of the carb?
if your carb has a small white plastic "T" on it, in line with the fuel line...it's a second on/off valve for the gas. make sure that the "T" is in line with the fuel line and it will be open.
if you have spark, then your wiring should be ok.
get some starting fluid, and spray a TINY amount into the opening of the carb and try to start it. only use a tiny amount because there is no lubrication (oil) in starting fluid. just use enough to see if the engine will fire.
If it fires...then you have no fuel flowing into or out of the carb.
It's possible that your float could be stuck in the up position causing the needle & seat to be closed, not letting gas into the carb.
if this is the case, you will have to take the float bowl off the bottom of the carb and check to see if the float is stuck. this happens quite often so it isn't uncommon and it's simple to fix.
if the float is stuck, chances are just by taking the float bowl off, and moving the float up & down with your finger will free it up.

Last edited:
With a stuck float or needle and seat, usually a tap on the side of the float bowl with a screwdriver handle will free things up.
(Same goes for that odd time when it sticks open, flooding the carb and overflowing.)

Try one attempt with the choke on, then one with it off. Repeat if needed. These things love that procedure.

As motorpsycho said, 'turning over' is just that - turning over but not necessarily 'firing'.
'Firing' is what you're looking for.

yes, a few taps on the side of the float bowl should fix it if the float is stuck.
but if that doesn't do it, the best thing would be to remove the float bowl and look inside to see what's going on in there.
does your carb have the primer button (on the left side, top of the float bowl)?
if you have that primer button, push it in a few times. the primer button will move the float up & down and allow more fuel to flow. (it will flood the carb with gas)
I'm not sure if all of these carbs have the primer buttons on them.
My friends 80 c.c. that he got from b.g.f. has the primer button on it, so i assume that yours may be the same.
carbdesc.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, no argument there.
I actually only thought to mention it because it happened to me the other day, for the first time with this carb - float stuck down, so when I turned the tap on, fuel ran everywhere. One light tap and fixed. If you can get away with it, much quicker than pulling down the carb.

Having said that, I just thought I'd better add that it's a good idea to pull the carb apart for an eyeball before first run anyway.
It's not uncommon to find the main jet and/or slide needle jet loose and floating around in the float bowl.
Also, the carb usually doesn't seal well to the end of the inlet tube. It's worth using an 'O' ring or some sealant. I used to use a smear of Permatex non-hardening sealant, but now have an 'O' ring embedded in a groove in the inlet tube.

Last edited:
update, still not firing. yes it has a primer button, I took the float bowl off and there was a white plastic donut like thing and a little lever above it that freely went up and down pretty easy and metal rod running down the middle and it has gas in it when I took it off, not alot but a little (fuel was shut off by the metal switch near tank) line shows plenty of fuel getting thru to carb. I took aussies advise also and used black silicone gasket sealent to seal the carberator to the engine (being carefull no to get any in the tube that leads to engine).I can't find a white T shaped valve any pics of this would be helpful and I completely redid the whote throttle assembly to make sure pin and spring were right. I haven't used starter fluid yet but hopefully tomorrow. But engine is still not firing. PS thanks for the help so far, it's apreciated

Back