it refuses to start

that picture looks just like my carb

And mine. Most don't have the extra fuel tap on the side of the carb.

Good description of the steps you've taken, incidentally.

Things sound to be basically OK with the carb. It might possibly be too rich to start, though. If it was too lean, it would probably start with the choke on.

You could try it, briefly, without the air cleaner. That will make the mixture slightly leaner and might help it start, for diagnostic purposes, if it is too rich.

Otherwise, I'd be taking another look at the electrics, if I were you.
You said it had spark. I assume that you tested by laying the plug on the head and turning the motor over.
Was it a nice blue spark?
What spark plug are you using? If you're using the supplied plug, throw it in the bin immediately and buy an NGK B6HS or B5HS, then try again.

Let us know how you go.

If everything checks out than I would try removing the magnet off of the crank and flip it over. If the magnet is on wrong than it will get spark but at the wrong time

If everything checks out than I would try removing the magnet off of the crank and flip it over. If the magnet is on wrong than it will get spark but at the wrong time

good thinking there, the mag. could be off 180 degrees.

but man, i really don't have any more ideas as to why it won't run.
spark and fuel are present (the spark may be at the wrong time as indicated above) the only things left are air and compression.
the thing should at least attempt to start assuming that the timing is not off 180 degrees.

Consequentially Steve, i've heard a lot of people saying that 'if your using the one that comes with your kit throw it out immediately' kind of thing, but mine came with a NGK B6HS in the kit.

Is that uncommon?

well after putting starting fluid in it and checking magnet we discovered that the round thing the magnet surrounds is burnt and beat uplooking, the magnet had several metal shavings and several pieces fallen outof center disk and oddly a small plastic piece rattling around in there.

Back