It Runs It Runs It RUNS!

M

mrsaxman99

hahaha what a blast! I have to admit, I was just a bit nervous when I let out the clutch for the first time. WOW what fun. Taking it REALLY easy for the break in period.

When the choke is in...whatever position ("up", where the flap covers the inlet...is that choked, or normal), it has a really hard time running...but when it is "down" (the little plate isn't covering the hole) it seems to run fine...sounds a bit rich.

How do I adjust the fuel mixture??? The screw on the side seems to be an idle adjustment, not a fuel mixture???

Wow, only two questions after my maiden voyage. hahaha what fun. I'm gonna go find some gloves and go out for another spin.

Pictures and video tomorrow when there is daylight.

Congratulations

I feel your joy . When the little lever is up and the carb opening is covered , the choke is on . When I start my bike I have the choke fully on . After it starts I adjust the choke to about 1/2 on , for the first 150 feet . After that I turn off the choke . It takes about 5 minutes for it to fully warm up . You might have to add some choke from time to time until it warms up . The air / fuel mixture is adjusted by means of moving the circular clip on the needle valve inside the carb up or down a notch . I had to adjust mine twice . Once while using the break-in oil / fuel mixture and I adjusted it leaner after the break-in period was over . It might take some repeated tries to get it right . If you need a more detailed explanation I'm sure we can direct you to it . Good Luck ............ D.J.

Cool, thanks for that info.

Is it weird that mine will only start with no choke at all, even when cold?

when i'm on level ground, it sounds rich (a tad bit rough)...then when i hit an incline and give it some load, it seems to lean out. Is this normal, or should I adjust the carb?

To adjust the air/fuel mixture, I assume you are talking about the pin that is held down by the silver washer and spring inside the carb. I didn't look closely, but I asume that pin has a couple different "slots" on it where you can lock in the tiny black washer thing? I would think adjusting it so the pin sticks down further means it would lean it out, and vice versa?

You understand how things work . Others have talked about not having to use the choke . I believe they are running rich but I don't know for sure . These motors smooth out after a while . One thing that I know for sure is that these engines are individuals . I would call them twitchy . You have to explore yours and find the best settings for you . .... D.J.

This comes from being in California. The choke is designed for those of us who do not live in a paradise like climate. Wednsday here it was sunny and 65. Thursday, 28 and raining three inches of ice. Friday 25 and 10 inches of snow. This coming Saturday 30 in the morning and 56 by noon.
These engines will not start without a choke until late June.

It was about 28 degrees F out when I started mine without the choke. I you want proof, ask my nose and ears after riding for an hour. I couldn't get off the thing!

welcome, again, mrsaxman99 :D

maybe i missed something...would someone explain to me the "adjustable needle" theory?

my input based on what i've learned here and what i've learned with my own engine:

these things warm up really fast, choke only seems to be needed for the first coupla pops, or maybe to dry out the chamber from overnight seepage.

anyway...i start mine on 3/4 choke/no throttle, tickle the clutch to get myself rolling at a coughing-idle, play with the choke, soon as i can idle at full-off, maybe 30-45 seconds, i know i can use the throttle & i don't look back.

idle (mixture)-screw itself: i've found advice elsewhere on the forum that's correct...3.5-4 turns from full-in is a good starting point. after the engine's warm, take the screw in til ya think it's gonna explode (it won't), bring it out til ya think it's gonna die...now that you know what it sounds like, screw it in until it peaks, then back off til it smooths out, which should be slightly off-peak. you'll hear the difference, and riding it will help you fine-tune it from there. vibration wreaks havok on this setting, but if you pay attention to how many turns you're using, you'll be able to blind-tune the bad-baby any time you want 8)

to make sure the carburator-top idle adjustment is right: engine off, you can hear if the slide is bottoming and topping when you twist the throttle. using the carb-top adjustment, try your best to synch the throttle full-throw with the slide full-open position, otherwise you're robbing yourself of top-end performance. i found another approx. 8mph when i adjusted this right.

Chain

How did you get the chain to fit finally? I have not messed with my carberator yet. It seems to run just fine, so I have not messed with it. They are sick fun. If you are married wife will be hateing it soon, so pretend like you only kind of like it and make shure you give her equal attention whenever her and the bike are in the same room, as soon as she is gone you can love on it some more. Speaking from experience.

Back