Italian Bicycle engine

I dont know what happened to italian mass produced cars but they got it right on most of their scooters. When I was a kid italian scooters were right up there with honda etc. for reliability and were very popular. Im not positive about this motor but my bet would be on the quality side. Google that motor and some hits should come up. Its amazing how much an old vespa is worth.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think vespas are only worth as much as they are because of the image. My father owns two vintage vespas, and he spends more time fixing them than he does riding them. This is a guy who has been riding and maintaining motorcycles for 40 years, so it's certainly not from a lack of knowledge that they keep breaking.

Expensive, but people don't mind spending the extra money for something good.
Anyone here familiar with these firsthand ?

http://www.1977mopeds.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=159&products_id=624

These kinds of rear-hub gas engines were far more common in Europe than they ever have been in the US.

I don't know about the long-term durability (haven't ever had one) but most seem to be only around 1Hp, and will only push the bike around 20 mph on level ground. When these things were originally designed, that was the legal limit for bicycle engines in most Euro countries.
~

Too many strikes against it. "not many in America" means good luck finding parts. No throttle or gas tank? come on.

Hey did you guys check out the way that motor mounts on the bike? I wish it had more detailed pics of how it connects, coooooool! Also that site has a nice handle bar mount kill switch everyone seems to be looking for.

These are very popular in Europe. Do a search of " Sachs Saxonette." As mentioned above, their speed is slower than many want, but enough for me .

$495 for a 28 cc single speed setup,rather expensive,expect to help out (a lot) on hills.

Hey did you guys check out the way that motor mounts on the bike? I wish it had more detailed pics of how it connects, coooooool! Also that site has a nice handle bar mount kill switch everyone seems to be looking for.

It laces to the wheel just like the Currie USPD. Scratch that, I'm wrong. Not the same. This one gets laced into the spokes of the rim. Something I never attempted before. The Currie bolts over the spokes. Krap, I might need a bike guy for the spokes. I never laced my own rim before.

Last edited:
Back