I've survived a near-fatal motorized bike crash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I removed the front fenders off my e bike and moped just to add brakes but since i seen these pictures I'm glad they are off. My fenders were ultra cheap and had no braces. Might be safer than one brace.

do you know why your rear wheel locked up?!! IDK why ppl would even want a front fender due to the risk!!!

I think it was a loose rear chain and then it got locked up in between the pineapple sprocket and the frame. Front fenders are nice in bad weather. It keeps the snow/rain from kicking up right in your eye! LUL

Wishing you a speedy recovery. There's probably very few especially amongst we who've been riding for years that hasn't hit the pavement at least once.🚴💥💫😖

Last edited:
wish you well man

ive also had a front fender completely fail on me before (young and dumb)
the steel they use on the fenders just isnt thick enough for the vibration of the motor.

i ended up getting 1/4 support brackets at lowes for 3$ a pop and cut them to fit. then drilled the fender and added 1/4 hardwere, i havent had a problem since. Did the same to the rear
https://www.lowes.com/pd/National-Hardware-4-47-50-in-Steel-Zinc-Plated-Corner-Brace/1000415221

Attachments

• 20191125_112710.jpg
    20191125_112710.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 20190917_172224.jpg
    20190917_172224.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 271
Really sorry to hear about your accident. I have never used fenders on a motorized bike. Several years ago I had what could have easily been a fatal accident on a motorized bike. It didn't have fenders, but it had one of those clamp on chainstay mounted chain tensioners. I was riding in a bike lane, inches away from traffic going 50 mph plus. That tensioner got pulled into the rear spokes, locking up the rear wheel. I went down hard. I had several injuries, none as bad as yours. A couple of broken bones and a lot of soft tissue damage, muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. I was VERY lucky. I went down on the sidewalk side instead of in the street, where I would have been hit by a car/truck. A few years later, I built another motorized bike, but this time I used an engine mounted tensioner and a clamshell rear sprocket mount. Yes it cost more, but I never crashed on it.

When changing the L bracket on your front fender to make it stronger.
Use an L bracket with rounded corners or round the corners yourself.
Use some nice nuts and bolts. Make it look Neat and Professional.
Button Head bolts and lock nuts work perfect.
Use Button Head bolts made out of nickle their very strong and wont rust. Buy at Ace Hardware.
Install the Button Head bolt button side up. There is plenty of room for the nut between the tire and fender.
Remember your remounting the fender make sure there is enough room for the new hardware between the tire and fender.
If any threads extend past the nut just cut them off.
Some fenders have a small slit in the fender and the L bracket mounts to the underside of the fender to hide it for a very clean look.
Have Pride in your Ride.
DSCF9924.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back