I've survived a near-fatal motorized bike crash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try getting a new patent for a bicycle accesary if it causes more damage to an antaomy they well buy it go over a list that we'll make you gasp while you have good intent there is a design flaw in it, it we'll cause additive damage think a phrase in the bible they well fad it make it become very popular.

Question: Is it worse for the back or front wheel to lock up... I know its the front because that does the steering and control, right?
But how bad is it if the back wheel blocks up? Is that a big problem, wouldn't you just skid to a stop instead of front wheel where you flip over the handle bars....

Also, last but not least: I am really sorry Guest 778, I hope you get better godspeed.... I was in the hospital last year during christmas, yeah it sucks, i hear ya... best wishes
I think ya answered your own question. Yes it worse for the front wheel to lock up.
If the back wheel locks up, Yes you will just skid to a stop and hopefully not crash with the unexpected stop.
The crappy cheep rear hubs that come on these cheep China bikes usually the bearings fail or the hub splits in half and causes a crash.
The point is to maintain and inspect your bike and make any necessary modifications to make and keep the bike safe.

Yeah, I've been warning about this in other similar threads. Front wheel lock ups at speed = messed up. YouTube it and you will be like okay need to have 3 mounting redundancies especially for us since our engines vibrate like crazy loosening up bolts like a kid unwrapping XMAS presents. The last front fender I had I used duo hose clamps over the top of the forks and under the fender to secure it; I found the vibrations from the engines do not loosen hose clamp tightening screws at all.

I had a rear wheel lockup on my old China girl going downhill at 30mph; skidded like crazy and was able to come to a crazy stop while standing up to control the bike and G forces from falling. Imagine 30mph, front wheel lock up and no helmet. LOL, I be dead for sure.

Glad you are alright after that OP. I know its no laughing matter. Yeah, I mean if you gonna have a front fender add some redundencies.

If it always happen if rip the thing off I got Shwinn too but got cheap plastic however the bracket could come lose I had to put on the forward side because snow and some times other things pulled it off so it's ready to jam but the bolt 8s like frozen in and lock tight and ill check it here today got protect your head too. Use your head use a helmet!
Screenshot_20191221-095800.jpg

Here's some pictures of a failed front fender mount and what can happen. OUCH
This happened to a fender that only had one fender brace and a center mount.
If the front fender was mounted with two fender braces and a center mount this would not of happened.
Notice The front fender center mounting bracket broke and a piece of the front fender is stuck in the front wheel

DSCF9914.JPG
DSCF9917.JPG

More pictures of a broken front fender mount
DSCF9910.JPG
DSCF9911.JPG

Picture of a failed rear fender
The rear fender failed because it had only one fender brace instead of two
DSCF9912.JPG

Back to the first picture
Notice The front fender brace is wrapped around the front axle. Wedging the fender into the front wheel.
The young man who was riding this bike flew over the handle bars and broke his neck. He survived
DSCF9919.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been warning about this in other similar threads. Front wheel lock ups at speed = messed up. YouTube it and you will be like okay need to have 3 mounting redundancies especially for us since our engines vibrate like crazy loosening up bolts like a kid unwrapping XMAS presents. The last front fender I had I used duo hose clamps over the top of the forks and under the fender to secure it; I found the vibrations from the engines do not loosen hose clamp tightening screws at all.

I had a rear wheel lockup on my old China girl going downhill at 30mph; skidded like crazy and was able to come to a crazy stop while standing up to control the bike and G forces from falling. Imagine 30mph, front wheel lock up and no helmet. LOL, I be dead for sure.

Glad you are alright after that OP. I know its no laughing matter. Yeah, I mean if you gonna have a front fender add some redundencies.
do you know why your rear wheel locked up?!! IDK why ppl would even want a front fender due to the risk!!!

Another thing to look for is the coaster brake arm coming loose. I've also heard of front drums locking up. Keeping things clean, greased and adjusted isn't optional. Even with everything done right an animal could run out in front or wet leaves could mess things up. Can't escape the risks, wouldn't even hurt to do some stretches before going out.

Wow that is really sick got something to really worry about, I got mags tuff as a tank track.

That pic in post #15 made me think of hitting a high curb at speed head on.

That first bike wrench posted in post #15 is what I call a death trap. He took of the rear fender for chain clearance instead of cutting a small spot off, but left the front one on unmodded. It only has a coaster brake, so good luck stopping if the pedal chain falls off (and going by the damage to the front wheel from the fender, the speed that bike went the flintstone brakes aren't going to help much if a car pulled out in front of you). Then you can see by the marks on the rear sidewall, the chain was slapping it more than a mom with a kid that can't stop cursing. That was ready to fail next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back