Sitherus

Local time
5:55 PM
Hey guys, I have a build I've been working on for 3 years. The frame is a felt iron bolt, it can only take coaster brakes. I am using the SBP shift kit with the 5/8 shaft. Do you think this https://www.ebay.com/itm/162274101135 would work? Or would it brake the jackshaft?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I pretty sure it would work if the quality of the equipment is decent. I had a operating jackshaft brake and it worked. You’d be surprised how much force is imparted on the jackshaft brake even though the front brake does about 70% of the job of stopping the bike. Rear brake just needs to be decent.

I pretty sure it would work if the quality of the equipment is decent. I had a operating jackshaft brake and it worked. You’d be surprised how much force is imparted on the jackshaft brake even though the front brake does about 70% of the job of stopping the bike. Rear brake just needs to be decent.
okay thanks, I didn't know that the front brake was that major. right now i only have a front rim brake and no rear brakes. I guess I need to figure out my front brakes next.

wh
If you're using the SBP Shift Kit as they intended, a jackshaft brake wouldn't work because of the freewheeling rear hub.
When i pull in the clutch everything stops spinning but the bike keeps going, but if i were to pull the brake before i pulled the clutch?
I have a dual brake lever, so my theory is that to get this to work i'd have to pull the brake lever when running then pull and lock in the clutch while continuing to brake.
When I'm in my car I don't always push the clutch to brake, I'd assume it would work the same here.

wh

When i pull in the clutch everything stops spinning but the bike keeps going, but if i were to pull the brake before i pulled the clutch?
I have a dual brake lever, so my theory is that to get this to work i'd have to pull the brake lever when running then pull and lock in the clutch while continuing to brake.
When I'm in my car I don't always push the clutch to brake, I'd assume it would work the same here.
A jackshaft brake won't work with the freewheeling rear hub. You'll have to fit some kind of brake mount to your frame.

Yes he is.

The bike cannot be disc brake adapted?
unfortunately not, it has no disc adapter and its a 3 inch fat wheel my frame doesn't have caliper mounts, which can be rectified by a frame adapter. Replacing the wheel would be expensive. Im going to post a new thread about a proposed idea for adding discs to a non disc hub.

Back