Jack shaft issues

Hmm... Okay valid point I'll give you that. I did not expect to learn something today. I'm suprised the rake of the bike is not taken more into consideration
Here's my favorite frame calculator. If you could have the perfect frame built for your particular body build this calculator will tell you what the ideal geometry needs to be. One should try to buy a manufactured frame as close as possible to their ideal frame geometry. This way you'll get maximum comfort while riding.

Ok so does when using the jackshaft..it's not the rear wheel turning the engine when. Starting it's started by directly turning the pedals? If so then the small jackshaft sprocket goes on the left side?

Jackshaft... More like jokeshaft. This thing driving me up the wall not in a good way. It just won't stay tight the engine always shifts to one side and that loosens the chain and then it throws the chain or breaks it EVERYTIME. Ive tried locktite, I've tried building chain tensioners (tried retraction style and expansion style.) I've tried bigger mounting plates. I've tried repositioning, I've sacrificed a goat and still the engine continues to shift. I'm not going hard on the gears. I'm about to drill straight through my frame and bolt it to the tubes. I've torqued the clamp bolts down so hard it's flattening my frame tubes just to give you an idea of how much torque I'm giving these fasteners. I realize that there is no kind of procedure in place for this modification I'm just asking for some tips from some people who have gone through the same troubles as me.

Jackshaft... More like jokeshaft. This thing driving me up the wall not in a good way. It just won't stay tight the engine always shifts to one side and that loosens the chain and then it throws the chain or breaks it EVERYTIME. Ive tried locktite, I've tried building chain tensioners (tried retraction style and expansion style.) I've tried bigger mounting plates. I've tried repositioning, I've sacrificed a goat and still the engine continues to shift. I'm not going hard on the gears. I'm about to drill straight through my frame and bolt it to the tubes. I've torqued the clamp bolts down so hard it's flattening my frame tubes just to give you an idea of how much torque I'm giving these fasteners. I realize that there is no kind of procedure in place for this modification I'm just asking for some tips from some people who have gone through the same troubles as me.
Yep same troubles. Using U-clamps won't hold it, and when it pulls forward on right side under torque it can twist that bracket.

You'll need to beef it up. My suggestions, weld in standoffs, use brackets on back side, and cut half-moon 'clamshell' to weld on clamping sides.

Use chain tensioners both sides. Use the third plate option like SBP sold.
Additionally, I dimpled shaft at every set screw location, added lock collars, lots of locktite. Not a single loose nut or screw in over 200 miles.

Note I used a compression collar on left side.
Makes it easier to remove entire shaft from right side if needed w/o breaking down entire shaft.
20220710_133733.jpg

Attachments

• 20220710_133655.jpg
    20220710_133655.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 94
Think a 3in tire would squeeze in there. I had wanted to do that with a Cranbrook but by the looks I don't think it will.

I can tell you this for a fact. That giant reverse thread tap needed for one side of that bracket adapter will cost more than the premade bracket adapter, likely by at least double. I have an extensive tap and die collection, and those reverse thread ones tend to be harder to find and more expensive by default. One as big as needed for a bottom bracket = $$$$$
This. I bought a 48mmx1.5mm tap to re-thread BMW strut housings. Not only was it expensive, you ever try to turn a tap that large?

Yep same troubles. Using U-clamps won't hold it, and when it pulls forward on right side under torque it can twist that bracket.

You'll need to beef it up. My suggestions, weld in standoffs, use brackets on back side, and cut half-moon 'clamshell' to weld on clamping sides.

Use chain tensioners both sides. Use the third plate option like SBP sold.
Additionally, I dimpled shaft at every set screw location, added lock collars, lots of locktite. Not a single loose nut or screw in over 200 miles.

Note I used a compression collar on left side.
Makes it easier to remove entire shaft from right side if needed w/o breaking down entire shaft.
View attachment 177621
can u send more pictures of your setup?

Back