JackShaft DIY issues

bike4life

Local time
5:03 PM
Ok so I welded this jackshaft thing but the heat and fusion caused the bearings to freeze a little, like there a little rusty or whatever, the 5/8 shaft will not spin continuously and it will die instantly. Is this ok, like will this lower my top speed or something, I think it should handle the what like 5000rpm from the engine?

Attachments

• 92DE77A4-FEDC-4DEC-B625-C5AE05DF2AE7.jpeg
    92DE77A4-FEDC-4DEC-B625-C5AE05DF2AE7.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 6D31963D-B590-4283-8005-F5201F9E6F1C.jpeg
    6D31963D-B590-4283-8005-F5201F9E6F1C.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 136
Ok so I welded this jackshaft thing but the heat and fusion caused the bearings to freeze a little, like there a little rusty or whatever, the 5/8 shaft will not spin continuously and it will die instantly. Is this ok, like will this lower my top speed or something, I think it should handle the what like 5000rpm from the engine?
A shaft's bearings have to be square and true to one another for the shaft to free spin.For those whom cant fabricate their own, pillow blocks are most commenly used.Those bearings will fail very quickly and are not meant to be welded, the overall structure looks sketchy at best.Your going to kill yourself if you don't rethink this through!

A shaft's bearings have to be square and true to one another for the shaft to free spin.For those whom cant fabricate their own, pillow blocks are most commenly used.Those bearings will fail very quickly and are not meant to be welded, the overall structure looks sketchy at best.Your going to kill yourself if you don't rethink this through!
they are square and true. I am saying that they dont turn that well because when i welded them, the ball things got a little messed up, like they rub against the housing a little more, theres some friction as the heat and weld fusion ya know affected the bearings. what do ya think, they will come apart. Also quick question, you know those 7 speed cassettes on the rear of the bike, whats the ID of those, is it 5/8" b/c i need a gear that accepts bicycle chain not motorcycle chain or 415, that fits on this shaft and i dont have a lathe to trim it down. Thinking about salvaging an old bike cassette and chopping off one of the gears if its 5/8 id. also what happens when a bearing fails, what do ya mean, it cant like explode right?

Last edited:
they are square and true. I am saying that they dont turn that well because when i welded them, the ball things got a little messed up, like they rub against the housing a little more, theres some friction as the heat and weld fusion ya know affected the bearings. what do ya think, they will come apart. Also quick question, you know those 7 speed cassettes on the rear of the bike, whats the ID of those, is it 5/8" b/c i need a gear that accepts bicycle chain not motorcycle chain or 415, that fits on this shaft and i dont have a lathe to trim it down. Thinking about salvaging an old bike cassette and chopping off one of the gears if its 5/8 id. also what happens when a bearing fails, what do ya mean, it cant like explode right?
need some responses lol. otherwise i might just move on with the plan, and as streetman said "kill yourself" lol. I was thinking btw of u-bolting or welding my hacked contraption to the frame, I was thinking u-bolt b/c i might need to adjust it to get it parrell with the 2 gears on both sides [engine and pedals]. But then again, if its bolted it could loosen up and stuff. IDK

need some responses lol. otherwise i might just move on with the plan, and as streetman said "kill yourself" lol. I was thinking btw of u-bolting or welding my hacked contraption to the frame, I was thinking u-bolt b/c i might need to adjust it to get it parrell with the 2 gears on both sides [engine and pedals]. But then again, if its bolted it could loosen up and stuff. IDK
When a bearing fails, it shatters like a shotgun as theres is too much load on the parts.
I would pack the bearings with grease and hope for the best, but I would just stick with the stock chain for the motor.
That or just get another bike.
The huffy cranbrooks are on sale black Friday. I suggest you get one, it will save you a lot of time compared to the one your working on right now, but if you want to take a challenge then by all means
get er don!

When a bearing fails, it shatters like a shotgun as theres is too much load on the parts.
I would pack the bearings with grease and hope for the best, but I would just stick with the stock chain for the motor.
That or just get another bike.
The huffy cranbrooks are on sale black Friday. I suggest you get one, it will save you a lot of time compared to the one your working on right now, but if you want to take a challenge then by all means
get er don!
HOW DO YOU PACK BEARINGS WITH GREASE. IS THAT POSSIBLE??? I'll take the challenge. Cant afford a bike on sale, lol. my regular bike was free from a junkyard and the other one my aunt got. but thx mark20. Ill look into this bearing thing with grease, it probably could help and plus i can inspect the insides.

I agree wit street ryderz on this one, there is also no way mounting that with u bolts or welding won't cause further distortion, if it binds at all the heat generated will cause bearing failure.

Attachments

• 20180924_191403.jpg
    20180924_191403.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 113
I agree wit street ryderz on this one, there is also no way mounting that with u bolts or welding won't cause further distortion, if it binds at all the heat generated will cause bearing failure.
Here’s what I am gonna do, probably build a squirrel cage around it so if it fails, I won’t die lol.

Back