Jackshaft freewheel installation issue

Elsys656

Local time
7:09 AM
So I finally opened my kit got the freewheel mounted the inner ring doesn't fit my mountain bike chain. Kit came from eBay this kit https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Shif...6?pageci=84da9afd-08ce-42a3-b1aa-95e39d916edc. Checked clearances should all be good with my frame out of the box. What kind of bits can I get for a multi tool for grinding a sprocket down? I tried a bit yesterday and last night but wasn't seeing much improvement was wearing out bits more than making any headway. Also does anyone know if the 36 tooth crank sprocket from sick bike parts will fit a narrow wide chain for a 11 speed system 11 to 52t I want to prevent the chain piping off so I wanted to go narrow wide.

I almost had the chain fitting but like I said it seems to want to pop off and that's holding back my whole build. I already have an electrical system with lights and everything built. Got the khinen carb and Dio Reed valve custom.window piston and ports with high compression head.

Spent like a grand into this already and I'm ready to see it fly.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So I finally opened my kit got the freewheel mounted the inner ring doesn't fit my mountain bike chain. Kit came from eBay this kit https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Shif...6?pageci=84da9afd-08ce-42a3-b1aa-95e39d916edc. Checked clearances should all be good with my frame out of the box. What kind of bits can I get for a multi tool for grinding a sprocket down? I tried a bit yesterday and last night but wasn't seeing much improvement was wearing out bits more than making any headway. Also does anyone know if the 36 tooth crank sprocket from sick bike parts will fit a narrow wide chain for a 11 speed system 11 to 52t I want to prevent the chain piping off so I wanted to go narrow wide.

I almost had the chain fitting but like I said it seems to want to pop off and that's holding back my whole build. I already have an electrical system with lights and everything built. Got the khinen carb and Dio Reed valve custom.window piston and ports with high compression head.

Spent like a grand into this already and I'm ready to see it fly.
I'm not sure about your inner ring but the 40 tooth SBP inner ring I am using accepts a 3/32" chain. I don't think it would accept a 11 speed chain being narrower at 11/128". If I were in your shoes I would probably swap out the 11 speed for a 7 speed cassette and go to a KMC K810 chain.
This is a NuVinci hub, but it uses the same size as a 7 speed 3/32". These KMC chains have been on this bike now for over 2 years with ho issues.
Edit I just miked the ring on mine and it's 11/128" so it's exact size of your chains ID. just too tight for a 11 speed.
View media item 62630

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I'm not sure about your inner ring but the 40 tooth SBP inner ring I am using accepts a 3/32" chain. I don't think it would accept a 11 speed chain being much narrower at 11/128". If I were in your shoes I would probably swap out the 11 speed for a 7 speed cassette and go to a KMC K810 chain.
This is a NuVinci hub, but it uses the same size as a 7 speed 3/32". These KMC chains have been on this bike now for over 2 years with ho issues.
View media item 62630

I agree on swapping in less gears.

I used an 8-speed cassette on my shift kit.

Then your chainring drive sprocket will fit 1/2 x 3/32 chain.

Use the chain that fits the jackshaft sprocket.

Yep. truth is with the Jack shaft you don't really want to be shifting 11 times. 7 or 8 is more than enough for real fast take offs, and real fast top ends.

Any clutch derailur or standard what about chain guide? Wanted less shifts anyway but the tourque of the huge 50 tooth seemed attractive. If not I'll just keep my tourney derailur and save the money on a new wheelset I just got mag wheels then later realized it was freewheel I was sad. May get a sunrace freewheel to have a spare and a new chain. Was going to convert to the 1 by system but haven't done it yet. Could just cut off the front shifting mech and keep the rest as a guide.

Last edited:
Any clutch derailur or standard what about chain guide? Wanted less shifts anyway but the tourque of the huge 50 tooth seemed attractive. If not I'll just keep my tourney derailur and save the money on a new wheelset I just got mag wheels then later realized it was freewheel I was sad. May get a sunrace freewheel to have a spare and a new chain. Was going to convert to the 1 by system but haven't done it yet. Could just cut off the front shifting mech and keep the rest as a guide.
Do you have a picture of your setup?

it's at my friend's right now. This was last night trying to get the mech working I have it stripped down. That said not sure how useful that picture is.

Ya, I think you have to get rid of the front gear set. A chain from the jackshaft and another to the wheel. Then you should be able to use all the gears in the back.

Yep. truth is with the Jack shaft you don't really want to be shifting 11 times. 7 or 8 is more than enough for real fast take offs, and real fast top ends.

Gary55 is absolutely right about short shifting.

I live in town, and the ride to work is 6 miles. With my 8-speed, I use First-Third-Fifth-Seventh.

My gears are VERY low.
First is 46.36:1. That's like having a 113-tooth rear sprocket.

So I'm cruising with 17.7:1 in Seventh(like a 43t sprocket), and highway gear of 15:1 in 8th gear(like a 37-tooth sprocket).

Gears 1-3-5-7 is what I normally used.

Last edited:
Back