Jackshaft freewheel installation issue

Thanks guys for your time I'll stick with the tourney mech get a new shifter and cable and a new chain in addition to the sick bike parts sprocket. I got an 8 miles ride myself to and from. My shifter got vandalized that's why I'm working on it elsewhere till I can get everything shrink wrapped and sealed from idiots.

Thanks guys for your time I'll stick with the tourney mech get a new shifter and cable and a new chain in addition to the sick bike parts sprocket. I got an 8 miles ride myself to and from. My shifter got vandalized that's why I'm working on it elsewhere till I can get everything shrink wrapped and sealed from idiots.
Since all my shifter bikes are internal hubs I haven't needed a guide for the inner gear at the cranks. However alignment was touchy and needed to be dead on requiring some extra attention to the spacing of the inner and outer gears. Yours with a cassette will need the front shifting mech as a guide. Sounds like your well on the way to getting it to work. You may in the future need to upgrade your rear derailluer as they take quite a pounding, but might as well get the use out of the one you have for now. The prob with mag wheels in your build is they are not able to be dished to 1 side allowing them to ride center with a multi speed cassette.

gary55, thanks for the tip on using the front derailleur as
a guide to where the driving chainring should be.

I've always struggled with cassette chain alignment.

My gears are VERY low.
First is 46.36:1. That's like having a 113-tooth rear sprocket.
35:1 didn't pop wheelies enough? I've loved my setup with the nexus 3 speed for a couple years now. Have 2 more nexus 3 speed hubs in case something bad happens, but it's all good so far. I use kmc 710 from the transfer case output to the chainring then kmc 510hx from the chainring to the rear wheel.
I've always struggled with cassette chain alignment.
You can always make a custom 4 speed cassette and delete the gears you don't use. Just space the big gears out some so they are on the outside of the big section then put the smaller gears on the inside of the small section of the cassette. Use spacers on the inside and outside of the cluster. Then tune the derailleur to not go past either extreme. Tune your shifter based on first.
If your derailleur can't go past first on a custom 4 speed cassette with an 8 speed shifter then the cable will just go slack after 4th. It keeps the shift spacing the same as if you used all 8 gears, but has the tooth count jumps of skipping gears without the double jumps. Will speed up shift times greatly.
I ghost pedal while shifting gears, cassette or igh, and don't back off power fully with my engine. By the time I am rolling back on power it is in the next gear. I try to keep my shifts under 0.25 seconds. It's called matching rpm, truckers perfected it decades ago. Practice makes perfect :D.

Last edited:
CrazyDan, no wheelies.

My engine was mounted high and up front,
so more weight distributed to the front.

My bike liked to slide my butt back on the seat.

Back