Jaguar CDI upgrade

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
Find out the engines natural top RPM (speed) with the muffler pipe on.
Then if you have an expansion chamber put it on and then adjust its header length till you have the top speed you want, which could be equal to or anywhere around the natural speed, even up to 15% more.
Then adjust the CDI to improve on that speed a bit. That way the CDI is being matched to the engine/pipe and not the other way around.

Hello,

Jaguar, as we know stock cdi unit advances timing on higher revs. I can find video really advancing it on higher revs on youtube, but do you have similar video of your product retarding timing?

We race bicycyle engines here in Estonia. Russian made predecessor as well as Chinese made products at same race.

Greetings from Estonia

Kristjan

Soon I should have a video ready that shows the timing advancing and then retarding. The other day my timing light died and so I have to get another one from the States. Also I looked for my tester and couldnt find it. Stuff always dissappears from me when moving. I will look extra hard tomorrow.

Hello,

Jaguar, as we know stock cdi unit advances timing on higher revs. I can find video really advancing it on higher revs on youtube, but do you have similar video of your product retarding timing?

We race bicycyle engines here in Estonia. Russian made predecessor as well as Chinese made products at same race.

Greetings from Estonia

Kristjan
Awesome to hear that you are racing motorized bicycles in Estonia.
Do you have a website or any videos online?

Check out Socal Motor Bicycle Racing in California.
www.facebook.com/MotorizedBicycleRacing

Almost none of the racers use the Jaquar CDI but there is a new CDI on the market that will be raced on April 12th.

I predict a whole lot of detonation will be happening as a result of people using the standard CDI or the LIghtning CDI if they are running a high compression head and are running too lean. Possibly racing in the winter-time will present enough cooling to the engine to prevent it though. But be forewarned for summer! Thing is, you don't even know it's happening without a trained ear for it. But then you lose engine compression due to aluminum particles on the cylinder wall or the engine just stops due to aluminum particles shorting the spark plug out. Race that! ha! push that bike over the finish line !
detonation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to this stuff how about a basic walk thru on installing the cdi and coil?

the Jaguar CDI connects to the high voltage coil by basic mechanical connections.
The Jaguar CDI connects to the stator coil by soldering the wires together (although some people who believe in luck actually connect them with crimp connectors although they aren't even sealed against water getting in and creating corrosion).

The internal coil inside the magneto cover stays and you swap out the stock cdi with the new one and bolt the coil to the frame and reattach the connectors and it's ready to go rite?

Back