japan vs. china

jonboy2five

Member
Local time
3:07 PM
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
40
i just wanted to warn everyone that it looks like all the misaligned manifolds and gaskets are mostly on chinese motors. i took my mitsubishi apart hoping for some increased flow and everything lined up on both the intake and exhaust side. thats not to say you cant port them of course, but as far as easy improvements i didnt see any. they seemed to do a very good job from the factory, imvho...
 

BeachBum

New Member
Local time
4:07 PM
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
22
Location
Bahamas
Honda engines from Taiwan are also nice. (Plus they, and their Taiwanese parts, are usually cheaper than the Japanese counterparts)
 

Mountainman

Active Member
Local time
2:07 PM
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
3,561
Location
up top mountain -- Sourthern Ca.
yes - I would rather pay some extra - and get a quality MB ride..

it is all in what we are looking for ---

I just wish to ride with the LEST AMOUNT OF BREAKDOWNS = Japan made


It is at this time - just common sense - let's look at HAND TOOLS made -
if made in the US or Japan -- cost more - but in most cases - quality
made in China -- may be able to find what I want in the 99 cent bin.........

Ride That Thing - Mountainman
 
Last edited:
H

HoughMade

Guest
It is a little more complex than Japan-good, China-bad.

Many Chinese manufacturers have the ability to compete with Japanese and American manufacturers. The issue is economic, not some sort of inherent anything. The HT engines are manufactured to a certain price point were more advanced aluminum alloys and manufacturing standards are not economically viable.

What would a HT type of engine manufactured to the same standards as my Honda or a Mitsu cost? Here's a clue- what does an entire kit with a Honda or Mitsu cost? It's not under $200 which is where the HTs are at. Starts at about twice that and goes up. Do you seriously think that if Chinese manufacturers wanted to, they could not manufacture a higher quality michine at that price? Of course the could.

However, a distinct choice was made that the volume business and little competition is at a lower price point and that is where they want to be. Japanese manufacturers used this exact marketing strategy 40 years ago. "Made in Japan", to many, used to mean "junk" and disposable cars and weak alloys and low quality.
 

Simon_A

Member
Local time
7:37 AM
Joined
May 2, 2008
Messages
224
Location
Northern Suburbs, Adelaide, South Australia
Houghmade hit it exactly. These things are made to a dollar value, not a quality standard.

They have to be usable, but not lavish.

Like anything, someone would have said, lets make a engine for bicycles, then they would have put out tenders for all the plants that could manufacture them and the contract went to the cheapest. Not the best engineered, not the finest hi-tech build, the cheapest to maximise profits.

This is done worldwide, with every manufacturer. Of all of the engines sold, we are the 1% willing to pay more for a better engine, but manufacturing have to support the other 99% to be viable.
 
Top