japan vs. china

PS...i much prefer Japan from China but don't get me wrong...the Chinese DO make some good stuff(provided it's built up to a standard & not down to a price)

Both countries are capable of making cr@p. My point is that you cannot judge the quality of a product by the origin of manufacture. That "built up to a standard and not down to a price" is a worn out cliché here at MBc. Everything is built to a standard. Some manufacturers standards are set higher than others, that's all. HT engines are produced by a few small outfits in China, they are a niche product. If one of the larger Chinese engine manufacturers like Lifan, Jiang Dong, or Jialing were to manufacture the HT engines, the quality and finish would be much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell ya what,u buy from whomever u like & i'll stick with my Japanese/German/Australian/USA stuff & we'll see who posts problems first.
BTW...ZBox is not "great quality"......it's acceptable(most of the time)

I've been buying these alternative products for a while, and I saved a lot of money - no troubles yet!

5kW generator - 3 years old 200+ hours so far - no trouble - cost $199
1.2kW 2 cycle "suitcase" generator - 4 years old 500+ hours - no trouble - cost $99
110cc motorcycle - 3 months - 1000 miles - no trouble - cost $749
2HP air compressor 5 gal tank - 7 years - no trouble - cost $89

The compressor has a pump with oil lubrication, and cast iron cylinder. Not a cr@ppy oil-less pump that would wear out in 25 hours of use - which is what I would have gotten buying a low end "name brand" compressor. That compressor gets run a lot too.

I also have an Ingersoll-Rand 231C impact wrench - made in China. I didn't get upset when I found out it was made in China. I just knew I was buying a trusted name in air tools. I haven't found a stuck bolt this thing wouldn't break loose. It is of very high quality because I-R has specified a high standard. Cost was still a very reasonable $99.

Same goes for my IBM ThinkPad notebook, made by a Chinese company called Lenovo - who now owns IBM's personal computing division. 4 years old, and no problems.

You can keep buying your products with Japanese, German, and American names - but take a close look at where it was manufactured. I bet you own a lot of high quality products made in China and other Asian countries.

We got our own trade mission right here at MBc.

Good thing we're talking about cheap, inconsequential engines and not painted children's toys, dogfood or infant formula.

We got our own trade mission right here at MBc.

Good thing we're talking about cheap, inconsequential engines and not painted children's toys, dogfood or infant formula.

Cargill Beef - http://www.marlerblog.com/2007/10/a...ontamination-class-i-recall-health-risk-high/

Topps burgers - (topps is out of biz because of it) - http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-09-29-toppsbeef_N.htm

Etcetera - http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS167171+25-Jun-2008+BW20080625

hi arceeguy,

leave the irish out of it, remember all we do is drink alot of guinness and run around after the leprechauns at the end of the rainbow.

I don't care if a motor is made in China, Japan, or Ethiopia. If it's junk, I won't buy it. I would prefer to buy a good quality American made engine, but it seems there would be too many compromises in making any available one fit my needs.

I don't care if a motor is made in China, Japan, or Ethiopia. If it's junk, I won't buy it. I would prefer to buy a good quality American made engine, but it seems there would be too many compromises in making any available one fit my needs.

I agree.

The HT engine was sort of an exception. I knew I was getting into something that was of questionable quality, and I would need to go over the engine and replace some hardware before it was even started. I was surprised at the quality of the engine internals (cylinder bore, piston, crank, bearings). So while they obviously skimped on cosmetic finishing and hardware, it looks like the "important things" are just fine.

Back