(Just a quick one!) High octane fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hajuu

Local time
9:26 AM
Hey guys,

I was just about to fill up my jerry can and I thought id ask if it was possible to use high octane fuel in one of these in conjunction with a really nice racing oil?

Here we have regular (I think its 92 octane) medium (95 octane) and high (98 octane). It has a bit of extra 'premium fuel stuff in it too like everywhere I assume.

Anyway, will using a medium run me any risk of siezing my engine (or worse)?

Seems to me, that the main thing would be that itd burn much hotter, so would that mean more or less oil? (More I assume)

Cheers for the input
Hajuu

higher octane will increase engine heat which is undesirable but will not give greater performance unless the engine is designed for it. My guess is if you went to a lower octane you would not notice a differenced. When the HT motor was designed leaded gas was still used at something like 78 octane. Thats not to say if your riding around on a 30(F) degree day it would make a difference.

Higher octane fuel doesn't run hotter or produce more power, it does have more resistance to the condition called detonation. This is the result of compression induced firing rather than spark induced firing. Running higher octane fuel, than required, won't effect anything other than your wallet.

Higher octane fuel doesn't run hotter or produce more power, it does have more resistance to the condition called detonation. This is the result of compression induced firing rather than spark induced firing. Running higher octane fuel, than required, won't effect anything other than your wallet.

I couldn't agreemore with this statement.
Unless you have a very high compression racing motor, running high octane fuel in a h.t. motor is just throwing your money out the exhaust pipe.
these motors were designed to run on "regular" gas (92 octane or so)

I agree, considering their history, these generic chinese 2 strokes will run fine on poor quality fuel and high octane is just throwing money out the window. Buttttttt, I hear that premium fuel (at least here in the USA, and not in Hajuuland) is likely NOT to contain any ethanol. This is better for storage, as the gasahol (10% blend) that is sold as gasoline can suffer from "phase separation" when stored under certain conditions. This causes driveability issues and possible engine seizure with a 2 stroke. Just ask any outboard tech and he'll tell you all about it.

I honestly don't know. All the pumps I've seen, indicate 10% ethanol, never had an issue in my two strokes running regular or my 460 on premium.

Where I live, the regular unleaded pumps will indicate that the fuel will contain "up to" 10% ethanol. Some will even tell you outright that the fuel is 10% ethanol. The premium pumps have no such label. Even then, I am not 100% sure. You hear a lot of static on the intarwebs.

....never had an issue in my two strokes running regular or my 460 on premium.

Oooooh - just caught the "460" reference. Those little engines can scream!
Currently, I am working on a minimoto (cagliari or "cag") engine on a BMP friction drive kit. I bought the kit a few weeks back (scratch n' dent special) but haven't had the time to prep an engine or bicycle. Just ordered the engine, now I need to figure out an exhaust and a gas tank setup. The little cag motors are not nearly as good as the GP460's but they aren't too shabby. I hear that the cags need premium fuel too, especially when running a "rockit" key to advance ignition timing.

Higher octane fuel does not produce more power in itself, it just lets you run more compression and resist the affects of detonation.

It works by burning in a slower and more controllable way.
You will notice an improvement in low and mid rpm torque.

Fabian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back