(Just a quick one!) High octane fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
another point to consider, premium fuel will have less if any ethanol like someone else stated, which dries out gaskets and seals in the carburetor. We like to run premium fuel in any small engine we repair at work. (I am a small engine mechanic by trade) The EPA is even trying to make it so all gasoline sold is 15% ethanol content, but the small engine manufactures are all trying to fight that as small engines will not run right on 15% ethanol blend and the ribber diaphragms used in the carbs for fuel pumps will not hold up to it along with other issues.

When I get my 80cc 2 stroke kit, I am going to deck the head to raise compression to better match premium fuel. It will give me more bang for the buck, for little cost.

Can you back up your statement about less alky in premium?

I dont really thing building a kitbike is comparable to building a steam bike. There wouldn't have been any kits for such things in those days, or even possibly still.. Although I think our way is more fun :p

I dont really thing building a kitbike is comparable to building a steam bike. There wouldn't have been any kits for such things in those days, or even possibly still.. Although I think our way is more fun :p

Take a good look around this place. Look at the innovation, the trial and error, the customization. Those of us that are serious MB builders, don't use "kit bikes". These are carefully crafted personal statements of who each builder is.

I use regualar cheap gas and regular cheap 2-stroke oil and my engine runs better and faster than the day i bought it. Now over 1,200miles.

Take a good look around this place. Look at the innovation, the trial and error, the customization. Those of us that are serious MB builders, don't use "kit bikes". These are carefully crafted personal statements of who each builder is.

Oh ok, so you're out there building custom steam engines from nothing? No?

How about casting your own head and machining your own cylanders? No? Hmm.

What about frame, you obviously made that yourself? No? You mean your engine fits comfortably within an existing frame and was infact designed by someone else to function this way?
Hm....

End *extreme* sarcasm.

Sorry, but there's innovation in the consumer age, and there's innovation from the ground up.

You are speaking for yourself. You know absolutely nothing about the skill level and the fabrication abilities of other members of this forum. It would also seem you have a limited knowledge of the forum itself, although it's right in front of you. Son, arrogance won't expand your limited knowledge base, some people are still made from the old growth stock.

The engine will make the same maximum power on either regular fuel or high octane fuel as it's not set up to take advantage of the higher octane fuel.
The same applies when running Av-gas in a standard car engine.

If however, you're more interested in engine life and stronger bottom and midrange power, premium fuel will be an advantage, having a slower and longer burn time.

If running too high an octane fuel (as in stupidly high), the engine will no longer achieve it's maximum rev potential, but pump grade fuels octane rating isn't particularly high when compared to aviation fuel.

Spend some time researching the old (pre rev-limited) 3 litre Formula 1 engines and their fuel requirements.
Those things revved at over 19,000 rpm and Cosworth developed a 2.4 litre V8 variant that revved to 21,000 rpm on the dyno.
Those kind of rpms present an ever decreasing time window for combustion to occur and fuel requirements become critical for optimised power.

Fabian

The engine will make the same maximum power on either regular fuel or high octane fuel as it's not set up to take advantage of the higher octane fuel.
The same applies when running Av-gas in a standard car engine.

If however, you're more interested in engine life and stronger bottom and midrange power, premium fuel will be an advantage, having a slower and longer burn time.

If running too high an octane fuel (as in stupidly high), the engine will no longer achieve it's maximum rev potential, but pump grade fuels octane rating isn't particularly high when compared to aviation fuel.

Spend some time researching the old (pre rev-limited) 3 litre Formula 1 engines and their fuel requirements.
Those things revved at over 19,000 rpm and Cosworth developed a 2.4 litre V8 variant that revved to 21,000 rpm on the dyno.
Those kind of rpms present an ever decreasing time window for combustion to occur and fuel requirements become critical for optimised power.

Fabian

So you're saying that a 19,000 RPM F1 engine needs regular fuel because the high octane stuff will burn too slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back