Just another Diamond Back

I figure it's time to send my bike this way. These shots were taken at the grocery store where I bought two large cans of Pork and Beans and ten packages of six corn on the cobs cause they were on sale for 69 cents a package. Can't go wrong there. It took two bags and the lady double bagged both of them. It hooked right up to my front hook and came home no problems whatsoever.
One thing I'm so not proud of. When eager to get my bike going I discovered that my front tube was just a tad too big for that front mount. I mounted that included front frame kit and was willing to drill a hole but the remainding clearance around the carby seemed really tight. I really wanted to mount it without that kit,so I took a sledge hammer to that steel frame right to that tube and it did actually narrow it some. Still a no go so I took my grinder and took off some metal till it bolted on. Then the studs were too short and I couldn't find studs but I did find bolts that worked.
I'm not proud of this cause on one side I grinded enough to actually make a little hole. The bolt is covering it so you can't really see it but I know it's there.
Every day I check for any cracking and so far I'm lucky;it seems to be holding up pretty well after about 250 miles of mostly 15 to 18 mph cruising speed. I wonder if this isn't as bad as drilling a hole. Drilling would leave two holes in the tube. I have one.
Maybe I lucked out but I don't even know if I should reccomend anyone doing it this way.
This winter I'm gonna paint it another color. I'm thinking I should leave the engine alone,but I may change my mind once I have paint in hand.
I'll take close ups of that frame where I grinded the next chance I get.

Attachments

• moop1.jpg
    moop1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,258
  • moop2.jpg
    moop2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 651
  • moop3.jpg
    moop3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 463
Nice bike! looks comfy!
My downtube is extremely fat, and i had to use the adapter. two holes drilled thru the tube.

i've (pretty closely) calculated 6,000 miles in a year and a half. no cracking yet *crosses fingers*.

although, mike simpson might say something about tensile strength, and advise not to do that. he knows more than i, so maybe i just got lucky.

I too, drilled through the large tube but I tack welded it, top and bottom. No problems yet. 4 or 5 months.
Doc

Oh,I love it!!

Can it get any better?

Sledge hammers!

Grinders!

Drilling holes!

Please--OH PLEASE--don't stop!

It's not about the bike that makes me want to read all this stuff--rather, it's the comic attempts to make things work!

By the way--I have a old V-8 which threw a rod.

Can someone help me find a way to sledge hammer and weld it to my bike which was manufactured in 1903.

The guy who sold it to me says it rides railroad ties real smooth.

what he said...

mac, either you forgot to add laughing and winking smilies, which would show you at least have some sense of humor...or, you just don't get...and (if that's the case) not only do you not get it, you apparently don't have anything productive to do with your time... :p

Surprisingly,after 1200 miles now,no cracks!
This is way off topic,but if you throw a rod on a V8 and have no funds,drain your oil,drop your pan,remove the con rod(leave the piston in there so gas don't go in your oil pan. It won't come out anyway.Your crankshaft is in the way) and the push rods and rockers on that cylinder so your valves don't go up and down(keep the lifters in there. It won't come out anyway without a fight.),put the valve cover and oil pan back on,add the old oil back in(remember. You're broke),start her up and be on your way.Remove your spark plug wire but leave the plug on there.
Yes. It works.
I was going to Colorado from New York by myself and stopped at a gas station off the highway. This dude had his Caddilac sitting on the side engine idling CLANK CLANK CLANK with this total look of dispair.
He had tools all in his trunk and had mechanical skills so I told him what he should do. I helped him get that yacht up his car ramps using my car,looked underneath and saw that nothing got in the way of the oil pan. I ate some lunch and about an hour later I seen he had already taken out the broken bottom half of the connecting rod.(He left the other half in there. Can't get it out without taking out the piston)
So I gave him some help with handing tools. He had a buddy with him helping out. Another hour had passed and he had gotten it all together. Started it up,idling a bit off but no CLANK CLANK CLANK was heard. Told me he had about 500 miles to go. I followed him about 50 miles to his exit. I'm sure he made it home.

WOW. Look at how clean my bike was back then. It's so beyond dirty right now.
I need to get a can of engine degreaser and high pressure hose this puppy at the car wash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back