Just another TREK

My bike looks pathetic compared to the works of art you people ride. But I do have some killer scenery to ride mine through.
3169_IMG_0226_1_2.jpg

The trailer, and some other stuff

I'll try this again. Here's the trailer attached to the bike. Now that's a guy's trailer.
IMG_0955_1_1.jpg
And here it is with the guy. I sure don't look like a guy who used to wear a suit and sit in an office, do I? What a long strange trip it's been!
IMG_0970_1.jpg
Ihought I'd kill some time today by riding out to the Chilkoot to see if there were any bears around. Ran over a rock embedded in the road and broke an engaging support. You can tell I ride gently by the warp in the rod there.:rolleyes: Actually this pic is from a bad angle. The rod is a lot more warped than it looks here.
IMG_0973_1.jpg
Snapped it off right where the keeper pin holds it.
IMG_0975_1.jpg
Someone else might let such an event slow them down, but I'm and Alaskan guy. I found some string in my backpack and tied from the seatpost to the mount to keep it from twisting.
IMG_0982_1.jpg
That actually worked for a while. But after about 5 miles, I had to reinforce it. I tied a string from the mount to the seat itself. Better angle.
IMG_0985_1.jpg
That worked for another 5 miles. Then I had to tighten both of them up. So I tied a string between the two. Startin to look like a spider's web? It held all the way home.
IMG_1131_1.jpg
On the way home from seeing the bears (I'll post some pics in my thread about southeast Alaska), I had to get some pics of the culprit.
IMG_1132_1.jpg
You got bad roads where you live? This rock has been embedded in the road for at least 6 years. You'd think I could have avoided it.
IMG_1133_1.jpg
I'll take the bike to work tomorrow and fix it. I have in mind to make it much stronger. I'll post something in the Rack section. Another day in Paradise.

You are a very blessed man alaskavan. I wonder when my "mid life crisis" will begin. You can never go wrong with a little extra string around. I like your style.

Hi Scott,
Baling wire would have been better, but all I had was some of the biodegradable string I use on the crab traps.
Thanks.

Evolution of the TREK

The temperature outside got up to 22F this afternoon, so I hauled the Trek up to the road and made the 12 mile round trip to the Mosquito Lake Store (had to get a Pepsi). I took some pics of the Trek while I was out in the sun. I've moved the Staton Mitsu Friction setup to my K2. The Trek now has an HT (Thanks again Mitch), and an SBP Shift Kit. The engine still needs to finish break-in, and I think I'll need to tweak the Shift Kit a little, but so far, so good. I have also been playing with various handle bar configs, but I'm not satisfied.

101_1353.jpg

101_1354.jpg

101_1357.jpg

SO COOL! Are those tires studded? Happy time seems to be making a real come back on this site!

Hi Zevo, it was just a 12 mile round trip. That's the longest ride I've taken on the HT so far. My moustache was a bit iced up. I wore my Mad Bomber hat and goggles. But it was a beautiful day.

And hi Motoschwinn, yep I run screws out through some old 26" tires, and use cut up 27" tires for liners (I scavenge any decent tires off any bike thrown away up here. I've got a bunch). They are pretty lumpy and out of balance. Really noticeable when you're going 25+mph. But then I really don't need to be goin' faster than that on ice anyway.
I got the HT just out of curiosity, and because Mitch had one he was willing to give me. I really wanted to check out the SBP Shift Kit. I'm thinkin' that the Shift Kit (or something like it) will figure in a few of my future builds. The HT may not. We'll see.

I believe so. I still don't have much mileage on it. I'm sure there are other folks who have more experience with it. But the concept and execution look good.

Back