Just completed my 100cc 2-stroke and have a few questions

Another thing I did was install back sprocket with the concave toward the spokes as seen. Instructions said to do this, but many people say you want the curve away from the spokes. Does this matter?
It can go either way, it just depends on where the chain rests within the teeth...The more centered the chain is, the better...DAMIEN

You might want to make a brace between the muffler body and the bike frame out of some decently thick steel 3/8ths" strapping. Some of the bad vibrations is due to the muffler oscillating back and forth at certain engine speeds. If it's allowed to vibrate like that too long, it will break off the muffler studs and possibly break the cylinder.

DSC00060.JPG

Disc Brakes are not an easy option for old bikes like this. If the brake pads are old and worn you should think about a new set, they're cantilevers, they'll be some of the cheapest parts to replace in this bike. Always clean the rim surface with rubbing alcohol before installing new brake pads/shoes. Also inspect the wheel's rim's braking surface for wear. You don't want to be riding on a pair of worn out alloy rims that have big brake shoe wear tracks in them, as they'll fail without warning and having your rims split explosively at speed would not be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
You might want to make a brace between the muffler body and the bike frame out of some decently thick steel 3/8ths" strapping. Some of the bad vibrations is due to the muffler oscillating back and forth at certain engine speeds. If it's allowed to vibrate like that too long, it will break off the muffler studs and possibly break the cylinder.

View attachment 104562

Disc Brakes are not an easy option for old bikes like this. If the brake pads are old and worn you should think about a new set, they're cantilevers, they'll be some of the cheapest parts to replace in this bike. Always clean the rim surface with rubbing alcohol before installing new brake pads/shoes. Also inspect the wheel's rim's braking surface for wear. You don't want to be riding on a pair of worn out alloy rims that have big brake shoe wear tracks in them, as they'll fail without warning and having your rims split explosively at speed would not be a lot of fun.
Awesome thanks! I like the muffler stabilizer idea.

OK, two lessons learned, installing rear sprocket on a beach cruiser. You definitely make the concave out towards frame or the chain will rub on tire. Also, you must Dremel the inside diameter of sprocket so it will fit over the dust cover. The brake lever arm must be bent at angles a little more so it clears the heads of bolts on sprocket. So rework begins. Be careful working that back wheel, avoid Turing the brake lever bushing, it will loosen the fit on the hub and make wheel wobbly.

OK, two lessons learned, installing rear sprocket on a beach cruiser. You definitely make the concave out towards frame or the chain will rub on tire. Also, you must Dremel the inside diameter of sprocket so it will fit over the dust cover. The brake lever arm must be bent at angles a little more so it clears the heads of bolts on sprocket. So rework begins. Be careful working that back wheel, avoid Turing the brake lever bushing, it will loosen the fit on the hub and make wheel wobbly.
You are learning young padawan :)

Question: did the carburetor that came with my 100cc kit have a different size jet than the 80cc carb I bought to replace it? If so, does anyone know the size of the jet I need to use for my 100cc engine? I have no idea where to look or what to measure to ensure the correct size jet. The newer carb I put on operated very poorly. Thanks.

Seriously, when you ride is would be advisable to carry around
extra piston clips so when they fall out and score the cylinder, you
have a few extra, some extra bolts and nuts that usually vibrate
out on two strokes, and some oil so you can mix it into the gas
at the gas station. Other than that, you're good to go.:giggle:
And maybe a complete set of Harbor Freight tools when the
whole thing just stops on the road. And don't worry excessively
that the whole thing sounds like a rattling tin can - all the
2 strokes do.

Last edited:
Question: did the carburetor that came with my 100cc kit have a different size jet than the 80cc carb I bought to replace it? If so, does anyone know the size of the jet I need to use for my 100cc engine? I have no idea where to look or what to measure to ensure the correct size jet. The newer carb I put on operated very poorly. Thanks.
The jet from the other carb should fit.

The stock jet in both carbs should be a #70 but then you could have a different carb with the 100 kit we would have to see it to know for sure. The newer carb worked poorly how, what's it doing?

Back