just exactly WHY are they doing this?

From all that I've read on Florida law. Electric aren't bothered to much. But gas powered must comply with Florida's moped laws. (Must have peddles, operator can't shift gears, no manual clutching). There's cc regulations as well. Look up their moped laws.

My first post to this forum

Just a warning to folks in Florida.

I was stopped while going about 20 mph while pedaling with engine running yesterday about 1 pm on South Ridgewood A1A near Terra Mar Village (where the tornado struck last week) in Oak Hill. Volusia County deputy sheriff Calkins told me I could not ride my one speed Trek beach cruser with GEBE and Honda GX25 in the bike lane or highway. The officer mentioned MV regulation 320.02 [1] but did not let me read it. I was told next time I will be cited. I have seen hundreds of cops in 3 1/2 years and over 4000 miles riding this thing and never had a problem until now. I ride with helmet, mirrors and blinking rear light and have motorcycle endorsement on my license. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or any comment
Thanks, Doug

My advice to you Doug is to lookup the Florida laws and read them yourself. Smart phones are a good thing to carry while riding. Then you can show an officer what the law states. Find out what it'll take for your ride to be considered a moped.

Last edited:
Back