Just finished geared, fwd GX35 powered folding bike

A few days ago I just did the painting and final assembly on my Honda GX35 powered, front wheel drive bike. It uses a 1960s vintage Raleigh 20 folding frame. I built a flatbed cargo rack and removable sidewalls using locust wood (harder than oak), intended to allow my wife to haul two bags of groceries back from the local grocery store. The geared front wheel drive works great, and the bike works great as a normal bike with the motor off. This has been my goal with both of my motorized bikes. It uses an 18.75:1 gear reducer from David Staton (www.staton-inc.com), which is a little heavy at 8 pounds but should last forever based on the quality of construction. I've tried 18 and 22 tooth drive cogs on the gear reducer shaft and am not sure which to use in the long run. A test ride up a *very* steep and long hill allowed me to ascend at 9mph without pedaling the whole way on the 18 tooth cog. It seems to be a keeper as it rides very well and should be really functional with the cargo box.

-Jim
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,744
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,454
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,824
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,303
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,060
nwguy,
You make that look easy getting on & off your tall bike....betya had a few crashes before u perfected that art.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would be doing a double cartwheel tring to get down from the "Tall Bike".
I'm willing to bet you don't drive that into the city, huh?
Pretty good scenery from up there, I bet.
Doc

Awesome!!!

I dig the front-wheel drive, multi-speed design!! Does it require really gentle shifting?
& the anti-kickstand idea rocks!! (I had to think that one over for bit....nice!)

the tall bike would be a hoot in traffic....you could stop at a light & just put your foot on the top of somebody's car, next to ya.....right before the fight!! :devilish: :LOL::LOL:

can that gear thing go on any engine or do different engines have different boxes?

Back