Just installed engine, couldnt tune idle!

O

oh-la-la

HI guys,
I just started up the engine last night everything seemed to be fine except i couldnt lower the idle. Turned the idle screw but it didnt make any different, it has about 3 1/2 counterclockwise now but still very high. Where should be the problem?
Thanks

ok then, you got her done :)

i'm going to suggest you look at "intake leak" topics...you're gonna want to check to see if the flange is flat, make a better intake gasket (if you haven't already), & check the carby-to-intake connection (some guys are solving this with an o-ring)...if you're revving too high it's because something's letting in a lot of air...only my opinion based on what you posted.

from a mechanical standpoint, you might want to make sure the throttle/slide is actually returning smoothly.

Thanks for you info, Ill check on the leak and try to get the o-ring. Can we get it from any hardware stores?
Thanks

augidog said:
ok then, you got her done :)

i'm going to suggest you look at "intake leak" topics...you're gonna want to check to see if the flange is flat, make a better intake gasket (if you haven't already), & check the carby-to-intake connection (some guys are solving this with an o-ring)...if you're revving too high it's because something's letting in a lot of air...only my opinion based on what you posted.

from a mechanical standpoint, you might want to make sure the throttle/slide is actually returning smoothly.

Throtle slide

Ya, know my engine never does slide back smooth. In fact it gets stuck a lot especially when I monkey around with the pin and clip thing it never has slid in good. I make sure I have that long grove where the cable goes in lined up with that little metal nipple stud thing. Still does not slide right. I have thought about sanding it down with fine sand paper around it ya know like the old wheel cylinders I have put oil on it though. no help. If you sand it will that be a good idea to make it slide?

Gasket

I made a gasket for The intake from automotive gasket material number 5 You can get it at an automotive store I used RTv blue silicone stuff number 1 for where the carb goes on 3. Number 4 and 2 is my old bad gasket.
72_Davids_junk_pictures_003_4.jpg

72_Davids_junk_pictures_005_4.jpg

The original gasket is like tissue paper. Mine was ripped. of course I do not know if it did that when I took it off or not.

Back