Engine Trouble Just one more thing Sir?

Edward Erdman Sr

Local time
2:22 AM
Well got the new piston installed and now it will turn over but won't stay running. Any suggestion's?

And to back that up did you keep the rings and cylinder? What about the head glass gasket, aluminum ones need replacing every time you remove the head, check to make sure you didn't disturb the base, intake, or exhaust gaskets.

All the gaskets were replaced exhaust and intake, also head and base gaskets. The reason I had to replace was I lent it out and and the moron #&%+# with the head and broke one of the rings.

All the gaskets were replaced exhaust and intake, also head and base gaskets. The reason I had to replace was I lent it out and and the moron #&%+# with the head and broke one of the rings.
So the cylinder was still good?or that was all replaced as top end kit? if not what's the compression at?

I have no idea I don't have a compression tester. I pretty sure the problem is in the carb I've been trying to find an
adjustment settings but so far Nada.

an auto parts store will loan a compression tester - might tell you that you're flogging a dead horse, thus saving much frustration

an auto parts store will loan a compression tester - might tell you that you're flogging a dead horse, thus saving much frustration
I've had people walk up with loose sparkplugs not understanding why their bike wouldn't start. I look and physically see gas pushing past it, sometimes they plain miss that but whatever... Usually caused by not using a torque wrench and undertightened or (usually) over tightened and throughly f***ed the threads up so they no longer hold a sparkplug.

Sorry, anyway, look for signs of what is happening, it's a 2 stroke, it's dependent on certain things once you've ruled out a carburetor issue then it's not the carburetor. Usually a bad seal. A lot of people I see with issues is some carbs can be hard to assemble without effing up the gasket on top, some "hd" carbs and certain versions of the stock can have a round black gasket that sits on the head of carb gets twisted up with the screw on cap-type top. Letting the center disk spin will take the gasket out of alignment and leak air in. The Dellorto clone has a really weird red paper gasket that usually wants to fall out of place while putting the top on, it sticks out and gets pinched at the last moment because of the spring loaded choke valve. I have several extra of those gaskets because how easily they get screwed up if you don't know the trick to installing the cap, had to replace several for people.

Usually best to give the compression check a go, it will let you know more than not, but if you don't have one then you may as well try putting starting fluid on the mouth of the carb and see if you can force it to run, you can even put a tiny shot into the sparkplug hole if you want to take it out, if you can get it to run even badly you can test it for a leak on gasket areas, just use little sprays of starting fluid to trace down a leak, put a wd-40 straw on it if you have one to trace the gaskets better. Do this outside obviously, a 14m socket in a drill on the magneto nut can make starting easier if you are gentle about it.

Not sure but autoparts may also loan drills I don't know for sure and too lazy to Google it.

Back