Just Starting and Need Help Please!

JimmyNibbles77

Local time
12:06 AM
I have a nice GT Mountain bike with disk brakes and 27.5 tires (may be able to update with photos if needed)

I'm looking for a cheap starter kit that can get me up my decent hill on the way home that won't blow up and that I can maintain easily. I've looked at kits online and have found that 2 strokes are much easier to maintain. My budget is about $150 for the engine and I can probably squeeze in another $100 for modifications I'm just a young guy who doesn't like pushing his bike up a hill on the way home, and my tool capacity is very limited as well. (I also don't really want to do much "intensive" modding such as grinding or sanding metal) I want to stay away from the more expensive, heavier, and more complicated 4 strokes. So I have several questions for the community;
- What's the best brand or brands to stay away from when considering my current budget
- How can I make sure my engine has enough power to get me up my hill
- What kind of cooling do I need to make sure I don't destroy the engine
- Is there any not so obvious tips/tricks when dealing with these engines (as my engine experience ranges from none to changing the oil on a truck)
- Good learning references
- And if someone could explain the purpose and need for "breaking in" my engine

PS I'm concerned with mounting the rear sprocket with my disk brake in the way...help?
Thank you all very much for this help and info forum!

- How can I make sure my engine has enough power to get me up my hill
- What kind of cooling do I need to make sure I don't destroy the engine

How steep is your hill? Your gonna have to put the correct size rear sprocket on your bike to climb your hill.
Your engine will be AIR COOLED

From what I've read all chinese engine kits are pretty similar. Just grab a cheap one for around $105 on Ebay. I'd upgrade the chain tensioner, gas line, and you can grab upgraded bolts for like $15. The cheap ones strip out easily. And you can upgrade as you see fit. I would think depending on rider weight and how steep the hill is, a basic kit should get you over the hill no problem. No clue about your disc brakes, I only ever installed one on a cruiser. You may have to ditch the rear disc brake for a rim break. As for breaking in the engine, new motors need to break in, so no wide open throttle, basically need to baby it for a certain amount of miles, then you can go harder on the throttle. Engines are just air cooled, they don't need extra cooling.

Also, avoid buying from sites like Bikeberry, Gasbike, etc. They are known to screw over customers, have terrible customer service, overpriced, etc.

How steep is your hill?
It's hard to describe online, of course, but my Ford 7.3 can climb up the driveway (which is steepest) in about an inch of snow, and it IS paved but as Solux said, as a light-weight rider on an aluminum frame, it sounds like it'll be fine.

Also, thank you Solux, the break-in the process sounds like it won't be too complicated.

I think I may end up ditching the rear disk brake for a rim brake any recommendations?

Is there some way to get a basic idea of rear sprocket size? I live in a mostly hilly area, so for fun, I might be riding in rocky dirt uphill and then going to work I would ride flat concrete nearer to the city... How complicated would a shifter be? I assume those two ride styles would use different sprockets.

Thanks, guys!

Is there some way to get a basic idea of rear sprocket size? I live in a mostly hilly area, so for fun, I might be riding in rocky dirt uphill and then going to work I would ride flat concrete nearer to the city... How complicated would a shifter be? I assume those two ride styles would use different sprockets.

Thanks, guys!

I think the kit will come with a 44t sprocket. That will be great for climbing hills
The larger the rear sprocket the more hill climbing capabilities. But slower top end speeds
The smaller the rear sprocket 36t the faster you will go but not so great for climbing hills

I think the kit will come with a 44t sprocket. That will be great for climbing hills
The larger the rear sprocket the more hill climbing capabilities. But slower top end speeds
The smaller the rear sprocket 36t the faster you will go but not so great for climbing hills
Would there be an easy way to have both and simply shift between the two?

well,

before you turn over the engine the first time, put in some oil in the engine spark plug hole. as these engines arnt assembled with any oil (or a very very light coating of it)

you want to locktite EVERYTHING on these things, as they virbrate a lot and will make stuff come loose. only use blue, not red.

is break it in with 16:1 on the first tank, take it easy on the throttle. then run 25:1 on the second tank, and finally 32:1 (or whatever you chose to run it on) for every tank fill.

watch this video on how to grease the gears on this transmittion, very easy to do and will make it last a very long time.

video is pretty good for what your need

heres how to mix the gas and oil for a 2 cycle

a good calculator for mixing
http://www.premixcalculator.com/

Back