Just wondering if its doable - gas to run electric ?

Hey Brian.....I remember your PM. I did use the system with the Honda, but the Juneau climate did the rig in. Water and electricity you know.:unsure:

The hub motor got some moisture in it and froze, so when I hit the throttle, I toasted the controller. Always planned to get it going again, but never quite made it. At the moment, I have the hub motor installed in a new set of suspension forks to try using it to charge the batteries for the lights. That isn't finished yet either.

I was using a permanent magnet motor as a generator. Automotive alternators are too large and inefficient to be practical with the low horsepower we are dealing with. Professor built a gas over electric recently, and came to about the same conclusion I believe.

Actually, the PM motor I was using is mounted in my drill press as we type. I was playing with it to find the number of rpm needed to get the needed 14 plus volts to charge the battery on my bike that I am currently running. 960 rpm (by the digital readout) gave me about 14.4 volts.....good enough to run off the jackshaft.......

Anyway, yeah, I'm always playing around with something, and I like the concept. Also, think I can build a practical system eventually. I will get back to it eventually too.....when....shrug, who knows. Silly things like funding, time, work, and survival keep getting in the way. One thing I would like to get into is fuel cells to generate power. Collected a fair amount of info, but nothing that is easily available to the general public has come up yet.

Guess to summarize, I hope you aren't holding your breath. You might turn pretty blue by the time I get back to it, but yeah, it is still on my mind. Thanks for the interest by the way.

got to revive this for 2 reasons..

Well im out of hawaii now,
and in Taiwan.
Ebikes here are all the craze 1000s of them
but as of yet I have not seen 1 gas powered bike
but I intend to change that soon.
after all cy 2 stroke 4hp motors are made at the factory in my city!

Anyway I was thinking today what would the range be on a gas generated
E-Bike? thats the most interesting part of the project to find out.

I think we can agree gas bikes can go in the 150-200mpg range
which is great and good enough I believe.

Would be cool to see if A gas generator could power electric ac motors
to 400 miles on one gallon of gas I dont think so but until sumone does
it i guess we will never know

I'm planning on doing it with a small 120VAC generator. Much more efficient than a car alternator, and enough power (W) to make use of.

Put the 120VAC through a bridge rectifier to get over 120V DC. Then use a power supply (SMPS buck converter) to convert the 120V+ DC to around ~43VDC (for 36V of batteries) Keep an extension cord handy to also use free power to plug in to.

Then run Electric motor and batteries like a normal E-bike, only difference being you can charge it with gasoline. (or the occasional free power outlet among your travels)

I'm willing to give it a try, and I'm already designing a 36V high power battery charger anyway.........we will see what is to come.

If the frame is extended, or you add a pusher-trailer, I'm sure this can be engineered to fit.....

Last edited:
Back