***KAH-RACK!*** was all I heard...

jared3377

Local time
5:12 AM
Tonight, while riding, (luckily) 3 blocks from my house, "Chief's" front engine-mount bolt sheared *again* :eek: (4th time, I think, but I've been upgrading the quality of the bolt [this one lasted about 300 miles])...

Below are the pics of the damage and the fix (for now...) and the descriptions of each:

1. THE DAMAGE:mad:: This is how the motor kicked out against my leg (not too hard). Not only did the bolt shear, but the lead wire for the plug pulled out of the CDI, the gas line from the fuel filter came out, and one of the wires from the CDI-to-magneto was loosened, also.

2. ROADSIDE FIX:???:: Even though I was 3 blocks away, I decided to sit down by the curb and fix it a little (LUCKILY, I carry a small set of tools and fix-its with me, including the hose-clamp you see [you can tell I've had this happen before...]). I was able to pedal it home (only 4 blocks...).

3. HOSECLAMP--MAYBE PERMANENT?--ASSISTANCE:???:: I decided that since this was the 4th time I'd done this repair, that *maybe* my "emergency repair hose-clamp" might act as a good permanent fixture *for now*). I do, however, think I need to find another way to mount this...

Sooooooo, here I am... I tried to start it after 1.5 hours of fixin' time, and I didn't even get 'er runnin' again...:???: Tomorrow morning I plan on re-wiring the connections between the CDI and the mag because I'm sure there's no spark from when I tried it tonight...

Well, that's my story :). Anything you all could offer to assist me would be great, but for now I plan on searching for other ways of mounting the front side of "Chief." After 4 times of fixin' this "bastid" front mount, I'm thinking that it's just not enough...:???:

Thanks all! I couldn't continue on with this hobby without you... :cool:

Attachments

• 6.18.08.damage.jpg
    6.18.08.damage.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 6.18.08.roadside.fix.jpg
    6.18.08.roadside.fix.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 6.18.08.hoseclamp.helper.jpg
    6.18.08.hoseclamp.helper.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 292
Hi Jared,
I can set you up with a front mount like this one that I made up for Schwinn Point Beach. You could bring your bike over and I could install it for you or I could ship it to you. Let me know.
Butch

Attachments

• motor mount.jpg
    motor mount.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 289
I think that exposed bolt is putting too much stress on it.
Try this.
Loosen up your mount then bring your frame bolt all the way thru so that your threads are not exposed. The plate then resting on your frame will give some "flex resistance".
So now your left with your mount not being able to reach your engine. No problem.
Get longer bolts and some washers to fill the gap.
Yes,you still have exposed threads but this time you have TWO bolts exposed instead of just ONE. And the washers should give some added strength.

Hi Jared,
I can set you up with a front mount like this one that I made up for Schwinn Point Beach. You could bring your bike over and I could install it for you or I could ship it to you. Let me know.
Butch

How much would you sell one of those mounts for? I have a Point Beach also and that looks perfect...

Rob.

Hi Jared,
Butch

Thanks Butch, I think I'm going to have to do that soon...tired of fixing this problem.

THEN, last night after posting this I went outside to see gas leaking all over my deck--probably lost a quart or so of gas... I'd forgotten to turn the valve to the "off" position, but that should'nt happen even if I do leave it on...

So, today or soon I need to figure out what's going on there and where it's leaking from.

Thanks Butch, I think I'm going to have to do that soon...tired of fixing this problem.

THEN, last night after posting this I went outside to see gas leaking all over my deck--probably lost a quart or so of gas... I'd forgotten to turn the valve to the "off" position, but that shouldn't happen even if I do leave it on...

So, today or soon I need to figure out what's going on there and where it's leaking from.
It probably came from the exhaust, piston ported engines (without a reed valve) tend to siphon fuel out of the tank and out the exhaust.

BSA

Last edited by a moderator:
Jared,
I have the same type of mount as you - except - I filled the empty space with washers (9 I think). This DEFINITELY strengthens the assembly.

If you want to improve upon that, check eBay for the LiveFastMotors upgrade kit - I just ordered it for the 40t sprocket, but it comes with a U-bolt mounting kit, too. The entire thing costs $14...

FYI - with the washers, I've had NO problem, and I'm even using the Chinese junk bolt...the washers make all the difference and add the strength.

I don't know what the fallout from pulling the bolt and mounting differently...now there's a hole in the frame, and it's a weak spot without the bolt to fill it. Personally, I'd try out the washers first, it's the cheapest solution...under $0.50.

Back