Kansas motorized bicycle law

License Required & Registration Required

  1. levsmith

    levsmith Member

    hey i am getting ready to build a motor assisted bike and i cant find the laws for kansas anywhere. can someone please send me a link for the law so i can print it off in case i get pulled over? It will be a 22.8 echo engine and the pedals will be fully functional. thanks for any help

  2. RdKryton

    RdKryton Active Member

    This is what I found about Kansas DMV laws.
    Looks like by Kansas law it will need to be classified as a moped.


    "Moped Defined

    When is a moped a moped, and not a motor scooter or a motorcycle? If it:

    * Has two or three wheels;

    * Can be propelled by a human (with pedals) or a motor, or both;

    * Has a motor with no more than 3.5 horsepower and 130 cubic centimeter (ccs) cylinder capacity;

    * Can't go more than 30 miles an hour.

    In other words, if your vehicle can't get up to highway speed, it's probably a moped.
    Operating a Moped

    As long as you have a current Kansas driver's license or a motorcycle license, you may legally operate a motor scooter on Kansas highways. You are also required to wear a helmet and eye protection. If you want to legally carry a passenger, the moped must be equipped with a permanently-attached seat designed for passengers. All passengers must ride astride―no handstands, please.
    Moped Registration and Insurance

    All mopeds driven on Kansas highways are required to have current motor vehicle insurance and be legally registered with the Kansas DMV.
    Motor Scooter Defined

    The definition of motor-driven cycle, which includes motor scooters, refers to any two-wheel vehicle "with a motor which produces not to exceed 5 brake horsepower" according to the Kansas Motorcycle Manual. Basically, it's considered a small motorcycle.
    Motor Scooter Licensing

    Because a motor scooter is defined as having a higher horsepower than a moped, to ride one, you have to get a motorcycle operator's driver's license.
    Rules for Driving

    Motor scooter rules are the same as motor cycle rules. Every driver and passenger must wear a safety helmet and eye protection, and in order to legally carry a passenger, there must be a permanently=affixed seat on the motor scooter. To learn more about motor scooter operating rules, refer to the Kansas State Motorcycle Operator's Manual.
    Registering Mopeds and Scooters

    The registration process for mopeds and motor scooters is the same as for all other motorcycle registrations completed in Kansas. If you purchase your motor scooter or moped through a dealership, the dealer will take care of the registration and titling paperwork for you and will provide you with temporary tags for the vehicle.

    If you purchase your motor scooter or motorcycle through a private party, the registration process is also the same as for other previously-owned motorcycle registrations."

    Good luck

  3. levsmith

    levsmith Member


    Well thanks for the bad news. Grrr i hate kansas laws. guess it looks like im gonna have to get insurance. Thanks though for the info. Probably saved me money in fines.
  4. RdKryton

    RdKryton Active Member

    Pa is the same way. That being said many members in Pa have had no trouble with the police. CDKilroy (My brother) rides his often in Lancaster County and the only attention he has received from the local police is "that's cool". They have even come over to his house to look at the other motorized bike that he owns. Good luck and have fun.

    P.S. Insurance is very inexpensive. My Whizzer is only $106.00 a year. It would be less but I don't have my truck insured with them so I don't get the multi car discount.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  5. levsmith

    levsmith Member

    Ok thanks for the info. I may go ahead and get insurance for the first year or so and if i dont have any troubles, i may drop it since im only gonna be riding it once or twice a week. i do have another car that is insured so i may be able to get insurance from that company if they offer moped insurance. Who are you getting your insurance from?
  6. RdKryton

    RdKryton Active Member

    I went through an independent insurance agent. The best price I could get was from Progressive. Your mileage may differ. lol

  7. It's a bicycle.....it's a bicycle.....bicycle....waaaaa..
  8. levsmith

    levsmith Member


    yeah try telling that to the state. all they care about is money. I wish they would understand. if i wanted a moped, i would buy a moped. But yeah thanks for the comment.
  9. srdavo

    srdavo Active Member

    good news

    hey y'all....read this----> http://www.kansascyclist.com/kansas_cycling_laws.html

    8-1592a. Application of 8-1586 to 8-1592 to motorized bicycles.
    The provisions of K.S.A. 8-1586 to 8-1592, inclusive, shall be applicable to motorized bicycles, and every person operating a motorized bicycle shall be subject to the provisions thereof.
    8-1592b. Electric-assisted bicycles; traffic law application; no registration or driver's license required.
    Vehicle registration and driver's license shall not be required for operation of an electric-assisted bicycle. Traffic regulations applicable to bicycles shall apply to electric-assisted bicycles, except tricycles with no brake horsepower.

    8-1437. "Motor vehicle" defined.
    "Motor vehicle" means every vehicle, other than a motorized bicycle or a motorized wheelchair, which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails.
    8-1439a. "Motorized bicycle" defined.
    "Motorized bicycle" means every device having two tandem wheels or three wheels which may be propelled by either human power or helper motor, or by both, and which has:
    (a) A motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower;
    (b) a cylinder capacity of not more than 130 cubic centimeters;
    (c) an automatic transmission; and
    (d) the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour except a low power cycle.

    In other words....it is still a bicycle! BUT....the state of Kansas does require an operators license.... at least a moped license. hey, they gotta get their cut!!:lol:
  10. levsmith

    levsmith Member


    So you mean i have to get a moped license? I already have a class c license.
  11. srdavo

    srdavo Active Member

    also....whizzers have titles & VIN numbers. in kansas they require a license plate. (it says "bicycle" on the plate!!) I'm not sure about insurance for a whizzer.
  12. srdavo

    srdavo Active Member

    no...the moped license is the bare minimum! your class C will work fine.
  13. levsmith

    levsmith Member

    hey davo your from southeast kansas right? so am i. how am i supposed to get insurance if it doesn't have a vin number.
  14. srdavo

    srdavo Active Member

    you don't need the insurance, here. :D
  15. srdavo

    srdavo Active Member

  16. levsmith

    levsmith Member


    you dont? do you know of somewhere that states that because i dont want to get my drivers license taken away for no proof of insurance. i just want to be about to show the cops if i ever get pulled over
  17. levsmith

    levsmith Member

  18. srdavo

    srdavo Active Member

    you haven't read the link I gave ya...have ya?
  19. Zev0

    Zev0 Member

    I've just read your link Dave. I'm not even in Kansas but I can understand it. It specifically spells out what a motorized bicycle is.
  20. levsmith

    levsmith Member


    ok i see now. is this the part you are talking about?

    8-1592a. Application of 8-1586 to 8-1592 to motorized bicycles.
    The provisions of K.S.A. 8-1586 to 8-1592, inclusive, shall be applicable to motorized bicycles, and every person operating a motorized bicycle shall be subject to the provisions thereof.

    because if that is what you are talking about, the 8-1586 to 8-1592 does not include the definition of a bicycle. If this is not what you are talking about could you please copy and paste what you think.