KC's 24" 7-speed 36V eletric shifting Kent Bayside Adult Trike w/ Universal Box

KCvale

In memory of KCvale 1959 - 2019
Local time
4:57 AM
I am pretty proud of my latest electric shifting build, I started with this new 24" Kent Bayside 7-speed adult trike.

41LyZf3nnlL._SS500_.jpg

What a great steel base! It has a front shock fork with V-brake and 7-speed derailleur and band brake on the rear.

I put a cyclone-e-bikes 24-48V motor with a freewheel sprocket and a SickBikes front BB with freewheel pedals on it, then mounted my custom made 'Universal Electric Trike Converter Box' on the back.

Considering I live in Phoenix Arizona, one of the top 10 US area's for retiring baby boomers, I figured it might be in my best interest to go ahead and design a standard box I can use on most any adult trike electric conversion and my post below is how it came out.

Short of the headlights and some cosmetic button up work in the morning the Electric 7-speed Shifting Adult Kent Bayside Trike with Universal Control Box is done.

The Harmond Mfg. component case worked perfect.
It has a flat plate and then the one piece cover.
I mounted the flat plate to the bike frame with 4 bolts and then all the components to it.

TrikeBoxTopOff.jpg

The controller had 4 mount points to the case bottom but we just used what metal plates we had in the shop to mount the charger and battery. The production model will have custom nice ones with quick release.

TrikeBoxFLoff.jpg

You can see the charger end for AC in and fan are mounted up flush to the front edge.
The top case was cut to allow 1/2" 90° inner tabs for a clean folded groove for the charger to be exposed and a weather proof rocker arm switch was attached for the rear lights.

TrikeBoxFLon.jpg

The production model will need some sort of weather proof door/cover for that exposed part to make the whole box weather proof but it doesn't get any easier than just plugging a universal power cord into it to charge it and when the fan turns off it's charged, and about a pound putting the charger in the box works perfect.

The rear sports 3 after market weatherproof 12V incandescent trailer running lights, a center amber flanked by two red lights wired in series to use the 36V battery via the light switch and it lights up like a Christmas tree.

TrikeBoxLights.jpg

The basket is mounted to the top of the case with the stock mounting bar and 2 bolts and is actually more sturdy sitting on the case than straddling the frame.

All in all the entire pre-production Universal Trike Box model exceeded my expectations in every way and I can't wait to button it up and do some torture test riding ;-}

Last edited by a moderator:
Back