Keep Magneto Safe from elements

GreasyChris

A better title would be keeping the whole engine safe from the elements in particular rain and snow.

So the other day I was getting any spark, assumed it was just me not placing the spark plug properly on a ground, but it turned out to be actually dead.
Took my cover off the next day all confused to check the resistance, and it was 1200 Ohms, but I didn't need to check really, because apart from the water pouring out when I took my cover off there was rust all over the magneto and a little on the center magnet thankfully.
I know the included gasket was rubbish, but I didn't know it was that bad.

My question being once I find a magneto locally somehow (shipping will take forever here in St. John's) and seal it off with a high temperature gasket,

• Is that the end of water getting inside?
  • What about the other cover where the clutch is located, should I apply the new gasket there as well?
  • In general how can I keep it safe from the elements?
This was completely my fault for not replacing the gasket sooner and not putting it off for the $13 the rtv gasket cost
Motorizedbicycle.ca wil have everything you need. They are located in Canada so you won't wait long and shipping isnt expensive

Sharif

seal the mag cover and the hole where the wires go into the mag cover. I have often thought of dipping just the coil section of the mag in liquid rubber like flex seal to completely seal it, but have never tried it. I believe it's called potting the mag.
I am kinda really baffled and confused right now, it's been 5 months or so since I sealed it up with ATV and I opened it up today to find the same thing happen again. What is that I missed when I sealed it last time and why is it after so many months later lol

I sealed all around
Sealed the whole where the wires go
Didn't seal the screw holes (Read in another post someone saying to do so)

I can't make sense of that as I can't wrap my head around how water would get in from the screw holes and I am sure this ain't fuel either.

Is there something I missed last time or did a sloppy job that led to water get in somehow again?
20191216_213327.jpg

Plus the screw hole at the bottom looks really suspicious (I will give the bike a really good clean, once this is over)

GreasyChris

Yup. Could have been sealed to well and not allowing any moisture to escape. Also when you use it and the engine warms up that helps remove any condensation that is in there but again if it's sealed to well it won't go anywhere. If you're near the ocean the salt in the air probably isn't helping.

Sharif

Yup. Could have been sealed to well and not allowing any moisture to escape. Also when you use it and the engine warms up that helps remove any condensation that is in there but again if it's sealed to well it won't go anywhere. If you're near the ocean the salt in the air probably isn't helping.
Hmmm, even if I was to add a vent hole with a small hose, the temperature is way too low for it to just evaporate out of there. I'll just have to make sure heating up every once in a while. I'll figure it out if it was happening in a span of weeks or a week when I ride it today and notice any spike in power with a new Magneto I kept as backup, ordered another one right after to keeep another back up.

When I was testing the wires, I snipped out the cdi wires expecting it to be the cause as it's the only other electrical component that didn't fail yet. Was baffled when I didn't get any funny reading.

GreasyChris

I dont think it would hurt to spray some clear paint on it after you replace it to help seal it from the elements. You could probably spray it with wd40 as well

Sharif

I dont think it would hurt to spray some clear paint on it after you replace it to help seal it from the elements. You could probably spray it with wd40 as well
Wish I read this earlier, I already sealed it in. Removing the ATV gasket is a pain.
I might still do it sometime this month.
Would chain oil act as an insulator?

Currently dealing with a different issue with the power cutting on and off every 2 seconds, it's fine after ridding for a long 10 minutes. The outside temperature is -13°C, was wondering is it possible the float tab thingy on the top is not flexing as much or something with the temperature. Not sure what's on the go, tried tapping the wiring to see if it's a bad connection, but makes no difference.