Keep Your Eyes Open + Mind About You!!

PatrickW

In memory of PatrickW 1952 - 2012
Local time
11:33 AM
I was out merrily ridding The Meteor this morning...not even under gas power (just pedaling.) Riding up, down, and around the blocks of our Country Club, enjoying the spring air, getting ready to open the motor up on the frontage road to run back and forth for a several mile run of 10-12 mi. or so at about 30 mph, just to run 'n blow the carbon out of the engine. 4-strokes w/a crab need that every so often.

Both sides of the streets have ample riding/jogging lanes. While I was cruising toward the frontage road, I saw a group of women, all over #250 jogging in the same lane as I was going...all laughing, giggling and having a good time. Just as I approached within about 500 ft., I gave the old Goose Horn numerous Honks! No response, so I figured they, heard it (especially at that time of the morning) so I figured I would just pass them slowly and be on my way. Well, as soon as I started to pass them, they all waved and yelled at each other, as half of them jogged off to a condo complex across the left side of the road, leaving this "fanning-spread-of-#250-screaming-laughing-giggling-trying-to-jog" women stumbling all over the road in front of me.

I hit front and back brakes, and made sure my thumb was off of the throttle. (Just in case.) I gave the air horn for all she was worth!! HONK-HONK-HOOOONK!!! I had a 'Chinese Fire Drill' going on in the street.*

It is a good thing I was pedaling the #72 trike, w/#200 driver +Mtr. rather than going full steam in front of that engine/gearbox I have.

So, the moral of the little story is to be mindful of what you are doing, and watch out for the general public, (they complain about us, but walk around "WHUA"...if anyone adult doesn't understand that, PM me.

*No offense to any Chinese members or readers...it is merely an expression.

Yup, even adult pedestrians have the urge to step out into the traffic lane, like children, if they believe there are no cars nearby. It's a strange thing. And dangerous. They'll sometimes do it in front of cars (when they don't hear them and are day-dreaming)

They need to be watched closely.

wow, sounds like an episode of the biggest loser!
350# women "jogging" at a country club? Actually the words "350# women" and "jogging" don't even belong together.
That's like saying "my little brother is 6 feet 5 inches tall."

you're so right, motorized bikes themselves aren't un-safe. It's all of the idiots around us that makes it un-safe.

Happens with cars too.

While riding at 25mph on a busy street, I saw this car approaching me with his left blinker on. I had a hunch he might turn right in front of me.

He did.:sick:

Fortunately, I read his mind and checked the road behind him. There were no cars behind him, so I simply went around him and into the oncoming lane. I didn't even brake, as it would've made the manuever more hazardous.

You really need your guardian angel riding with you.:bowdown:

what scares me

I pay attention but my fear is someone opening the drivers door right in front of me. I hope it never happens but it's always in the back of my mind:eek:

Sometimes you just can't get away from the door zone. Crowded cities, etc.

In those cases it is important that you look directly into the driver's seat of every single car as you're approaching. If that sounds like a pain, well, yes it is. But it gets to be second nature after a while.

It's been a long time since I've had to deal with that. But I never got doored. I knew people who did.

Pedestrians on cell phones walk in front of you all the time. It's like babysitting.

You're so right, motorized bikes themselves aren't un-safe. It's all of the idiots around us that makes it un-safe.

This deserves emphasis! Ride defensively!

Back