Keeping your front electric hub from spinning your wheel off

B

Blaze

I was going to write about how it's a major safety issue to run a front electric hub without a torque arm installed, and how your wheel can spin right off the bike without one. I pretty much already covered everything under another subject. If you are are installing an electric hub on your front wheel, please read the following subject in the Electric Avenue forum: "Poll: Has your front hub motor spun out of your forks?" There is a lot of very detailed information in there.

The other thing you need to do is install a safety catch for your front wheel in case the axle comes loose. Right now, I am using .032 steel safety wire, wrapped around the axle nuts and through a hole in the dropouts three times. I hope I never have to actually test it, but I think it should work.

i don't own one yet, but soon...

based on your great info, i'm already designing a fork with major thick dropouts, the final outer one being a thru-hole for the axle-"catcher"...i do feel that i can make it work & i know i'll give it my best shot no matter what occurs.

see, i think that the thick dropout will be forced "backwards" against the fork-tube, that's my intended anchor point, the bolt only serving to keep it all in place. if i need more leverage on the t-arm, i'll extend the outer add-on further up the tube.

i can't wait to try it out...

Cool. Take pictures when you build it. A lot of the motors might not have the same problems as mine, but it's better to be safe than sorry, eh? My 48v 600w motor is a dropout mangler. I'm looking forward to see what you build.

It only happened to me once on my very first e.bike based on an old Raleigh frame and forks. It was a big shock to see my front wheel trying to leave without me and as a result I was much more careful about checking over the tightness of my front axle nuts on a regular basis.

Thanks, Blaze.

That great article you wrote before was the first thing I read here, because the first thing my first electric bike did was spin its' axle out... Both of my feet were planted, no damage...so I cranked on the bolts a bit tighter, and went for a spin. I rolled on the throttle in a right turn, and, well, I still have the torn rotator cuff.

I followed your advice when building a second bike, and have a lovely stainless steel custom torque arm on it. Dark fantasies of lost front wheels haunt my rides, still, and I may try to copy that wired on idea.

Thanks again,

Bob

I run two torque arms on my two trikes. my trike will run close to 40 on 60 volts with the 5303 front hub motor and stock Schwinn fork (over a 1000 miles so far ). you really need the tg arms on any hub motor IMHO . I also run 5 75amp hour wet batterys so the sucka is also heavy..lol

Back