Keystone State Loophole???

buck

Local time
6:31 PM
Pennsylvania, like many other states, seems to have a lot of obstacles to riding motored bikes. After many hours of research, I ran across this section of the title 75 motor vehicle code. Chapter 13, section # 1302 deals with vehicles that are exempt from registration. It is quite detailed in what types of vehicles are not required to have registration. Paragraph fifteen seems to state that "Any motor vehicle being towed" is exempt from registration. I am certainly no attorney, but I was wondering what the other members thought about this applying to a pusher trailer? I would like to build a motored bike, but at the same time I don't want to fall victim to judicial extortion. After all, the moto for our local area is "Come on Vacation - Leave on Probation".

Attachments

• chapter13.pdf
    185.6 KB · Views: 366
Interesting idea. Especially interesting because that is my "backup scheme" at the moment. I am currently running a 25cc Honda 4 stroke through a mini tiller gear box into a 6 speed freewheel in a pusher configuration. (It's been running pretty much flawlessly for about 700 miles, so I can post pics if anyone is interested). I'm not sure how Alaska would view this thing because I don't think they have addressed the motor assist issue yet (I'll probably be the test case). Anyway, my backup plan is that the bicycle is just a bicycle which happens to be towing a powered trailer. The plan came from a job I had in Wisconsin. I was demolishing a bank, and needed a minimum 85 ton crane on site to remove the vault door from the 3rd floor. The crane company didn't want to license and insure the rig for one small job in the winter. After thinking about it for a while I called the DOT and asked the lady about tow bar regulations. (I used to tow bar dead dump trucks even across state lines when they broke down). She said the towed vehicle didn't have to be road legal as long as the towing vehicle was. I even asked what if the towed vehicle is heavier than the towing vehicle. She said it doesn't make any difference and agreed to fax me a statement to that effect. Well, two days later the local constabulary was treated to the site of an 85 ton crane with a 318 detroit with broken exhaust screaming past their shop pushing a 1 ton pickup with me furiously trying to stay in front of it. They followed us to the job site where I showed them the paperwork, and they decided it wasn't worth pursuing.

Whether this would stand up in court is debatable here in Ak. I don't know about your area, although our theory does follow the point of the law if not the intent exactly. Another loophole would be the agricultural aspect. If you had a couple gallons of raw milk, or a few dozen eggs in the trailer it *could* be considered agricultural. I got off once because I had three bales of straw in the back of one of my trucks. :rolleyes: Anyway, good luck if you go for it.

Denny

I would like to see the photos of your pusher design. I am planning on using a 3hp briggs & stratton engine driving a comet TAV2 torque converter with #35 chain back to a 3.50 x 8.00 rear wheel from a Honda Z50 mini bike. I am going to enclose the majority of it inside of a large modified plastic cooler so that it will operate in the stealth mode. The briggs engines make plenty of noise and i don't want to attract any extra attention. Thanks / Buck

I would like to see the photos of your pusher design. I am planning on using a 3hp briggs & stratton engine driving a comet TAV2 torque converter with #35 chain back to a 3.50 x 8.00 rear wheel from a Honda Z50 mini bike. I am going to enclose the majority of it inside of a large modified plastic cooler so that it will operate in the stealth mode. The briggs engines make plenty of noise and i don't want to attract any extra attention. Thanks / Buck

It's dark tonight, but I will try to post a few tomorrow.....if it works. :)

Denny

I think they may want to see a registration on the trailer!

Maybe if the trailer was in front then it would be pulling.

....Does Pennsylvanier still have their 55 mph limit?

mini tiller powered pusher

Buck and any one else interested, this is what I have. Basically it is a 25cc Honda attached to a minitiller gearbox with a chain drive to a 6 speed freewheel on a 20 inch wheel. (Gotta love them Hondas) Last winter I basically destroyed 3 rides, and this is kind of built from the salvaged left overs. The engine drove a generator for an electric hybrid I built that didn't like having the hub motor frozen up. The wheel is from a snow thrower scrubber setup that i wiped out with on ice, and the gearbox I purchased at Home Depot when I noticed that the output is 300 RPM. Welded up some 3/4 in. sq tubing and away we went. Throttle and shifter came from a happy time setup that doesn't like being drenched 320 days a year. It gets from 160 to 220 mpg depending on cargo weight and wind. top speed on the flat is about 21 mph. I've carried up to 80 # of tools and supplies which brings top speed down to about 16 or 17 mph. Sorry the pics aren't any clearer, but we are having one of our 40 days of non rain, and my camera doesn't know what to do. So far I have almost 800 miles on it, and it has been extremely reliable. Only problem was 4 flats on the rear bike tire which was caused by a staple buried in the tire that I couldn't find until I bought a new tire and tube.

Point of interest....yesterday I was coming home, and I ran into three police officers parked in the bike lane on a bridge. Thinking they were waiting for me to lower the boom, I coasted up pedalling with the engine idling. I asked the first officer what's up? With a ppuzzled expression as he looked the rig over, he said, "Not much.....just waiting for the donut shop to open." Bout fell off the bike laughing as I pedalled away. Any further questions, let me know.

Denny

Attachments

• bike 005.jpg
    bike 005.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 324
  • bike 004.jpg
    bike 004.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 283
  • bike 003.jpg
    bike 003.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 326
  • bike 002.jpg
    bike 002.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 306
  • bike 001.jpg
    bike 001.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 327
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Large Filipino. That's an interesting concept of having the trailer in front of the bike. Pulling instead of pushing. Sort of like the old sulky type mowers. Yes, Pennsylvania still has the 55mph speed limit everywhere except on the turnpikes & interstate highways where the limit is 65mph. I figure that my trailer will go between 30-35mph, depending on the final drive sprocket. I will avoid the turnpike & interstate areas. I don't want to end up as a grill emblem for a Mack truck. Thanks / Buck

Thanks for the info and photos Denny. That's a great looking trailer. The plastic container lets it operate in the stealth mode, and it doubles as a cargo container. That's a terrific idea using the Honda - mini tiller - and bicycle combination. Off the shelf parts for max reliability.

The plastic container would also be a great place for the lighting system battery, and a box of donuts ( just in case ). Great build Denny, I love it. Thanks / Buck

That bike is shweet! That's something anyone here can appreciate.

Now can you tell us again about this gear box you can buy at the Home Depot?

I bet that's where you get the reduction,huh.

Back in 1986 when I was traveling from New York to Colorado by car I remembered Pennsylvanier as being the only state that did not adopt the 65 mph speed limit. It's good to know they finally adapted.
Watch. When Motoredbikes become the necessity (after scooters which I think will take the crown but anyway) Pennsylvanier may be the last state to adapt but they will mark my words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back