Kickstarting engine

LWalker

Local time
8:15 AM
Hey Everyone,

So as some of you know I recently destroyed one of my engines by using a faulty pull starter. I got another one set up but I still want to be able to start the bike without coasting down a hill (its too hard to start on flat ground). I've seen some videos about "kick-starting" the engine by lifting up the back tire and pushing down on the peddle.

What I want to know is - is there any way kickstarting the bike this way can damage the engine? I absolutely cannot afford to break another engine and every time I try to improve my bike in some way it seems to go horribly wrong.

I do it that way all the time, you will have to ride start it for the first couple times to get the tune right. Once it starts reliably, you will be able to just push down on the pedal and it will start. You can save a tiny bit of grief if you have a rear wheel stand, save you some effort of holding up the tail.

My bike rack is just like a handle for doing that.

No, you can't hurt the engine by holding up the back end and kick starting the bike.

You can always get a strong center stand. Then you'll be able to kick start or pedal start your bike while it's on the center kickstand.
There are center kickstands on the market. $20 - $35
Here's link to the Whizzer center stand it's probably the strongest center kickstand on the market and the most expensive at $60
A pic of my M/B on the center stand My Whizzer starts with just one kick.

www.whizzercruzzerparts.com/product/center-stand-goose-neck-006/
DSCF7128.JPG

Last edited:
I know some center stands can fold when ya sit on the bike and pedal start it. This might make ya fall over.
This is one reason I recommended the Whizzer center stand it won't fold unless your pointing the bike downhill.

If the bike is tuned it should start with one kick. It's easy to stand to one side and kickstart the bike while it's on the center stand

Lifted it by the seat which was akward and tryed starting it by pushing the pedal with a foot.
I found it a little awkward lifting it by the seat, harder to get it high enough. Since I added the back rack, it's a lot easier.

Back